Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Patches 33RD PHOTO RCN

1644873527456.png

If you were against that ride, imagine doing the same attached to a Harrier. If I remember correctly, there was a provision for carrying a 4-man special forces team in two pods into East Europe for reconnaissance missions.

The Exint Pod.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
AF106

View attachment 658164

View attachment 658165

If you look closely at the pilot, he appears to be wearing a business suit and that mustache doesn't look o2 friendly.
I remember a story and pics of iirc a CEO(?) or other executive that used to fly WW2 era planes still in his business suit, but, I thought he was American. I could be wrong, though, anyone know what I'm talking about or am I just a little crazier than usual?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you look closely at the pilot, he appears to be wearing a business suit and that mustache doesn't look o2 friendly.
I remember a story and pics of iirc a CEO(?) or other executive that used to fly WW2 era planes still in his business suit, but, I thought he was American. I could be wrong, though, anyone know what I'm talking about or am I just a little crazier than usual?
I doubt any of the "Top Brass" at Lockheed during WW2 would be flying in a business suit. The only one I can think of who would do that would be Howard Hughes.

Caption for this image from Tim Mason's excellent book on wartime aircraft testing:

"Lightning I AF106 in June 1942 over Larkhill Camp. Lack of turbo-superchargers (notable by their absence just behind the exhausts) and high altitude handling problems led to cancellation of the British contract by the time the aircraft reached Boscombe. Gas warning diamonds can be seen on the fins". Edit - ahead of the fins, Tim.

AF106 was the only example from the British order to reach the A&AEE, it had no armament and was restricted to 300 mph - no stated reason why, possibly because of the accident rate within US usage of the type owing to compressibility? Handling was described as pleasant although the elevator was heavy. The aircraft stalled at 78 mph with flaps and undercarriage down and recovery was straight forward and flying on one engine was easy and devoid of foot loads on the rudder down to speeds of 115 mph. The colour-coding of the engine controls and the tricycle gear were praised. By this time the testing was purely for research purposes as the aircraft had already been rejected by the RAF.

I could be wrong, though, anyone know what I'm talking about or am I just a little crazier than usual?

I vaguely remember reading that Richard Fairey used to fly around in his business suit, could be wrong. I know Keith Park had his own personal Hurricane during his tenure as C-in-C 11 Group Fighter Command and he used to fly around in a white flying suit, but underneath he wore his Number Ones, so he was appropriately dressed in a standard that befitted his position.

I doubt any of the "Top Brass" at Lockheed during WW2 would be flying in a business suit. The only one I can think of who would do that would be Howard Hughes.
Wasnt Hughes…guy I'm thinking of iirc used to take a plane off the production line to fly on business…which is still a Hughes sort of thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back