eBay: Messerschmitt Bf109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01 's EBay cockpit posts led me to these Bf 109 shots from EBay:

Bf 109G Merlin engine front.jpg
Bf 109G Merlin engine rt side.jpg
Bf 109G Merllin.jpg

The 109 appears to be a modern display (note the cars), with Merlin engine. Anyone have details? May be UK due to cars, coats and grey skies.

Since computer is not my native language, I don't know how. What I do is click on the title/source of the photo from the forum which takes me to the EBay source where he (the forum poster) found it. Then scrolling down, see other offers. In this case, I use one of the seller's offers, click "other selections" found near the seller's rating, and explore similar stuff.

Edit: It appears the seller does not know about the things in the photos and this is listed as Bf 109 Richtofen JG2, oblivious to the engine change. The thrust line appears that is could be a H-S engine although why anyone would want to do such a conversion.

Last edited:
The link also called an URL address is displayed at the top bar ( line ) of your net browser. Usually it starts with "https://" sequence. Click the line in order to mark the text for copying. Then come here and paste the copied text to your post. You may do it either with 'CTR and V" keys hit together or using the pop-up menu if you click your screen with the right mouse button. Then click the Post replay button. Our system converts itself the address into the "blue" hot link.

After my poor attempt at sarcasm up thread about who would put a Hispano-Suiza in a Bf 109, I expected a chorus of voices shouting Hispano Ha 1109. I would still like to learn the details of this display. Could it have been in Spain? Did they loan one for an airshow?

The 109 appears to be a modern display (note the cars), with Merlin engine. Anyone have details? May be UK due to cars, coats and grey skies.

I don't have any concrete information, but on first glance it appears to be a Hispano HA.1109 K1L with a Hispano Suiza engine, as opposed to a HA.1112 M1L Buchon with a Merlin. The clues are in the undernose intake, modified cowl shape and position of the exhaust stubs inline with the wing leading edge compared to the Buchon.

Here's a grainy pic of the K1L at the Museo del Aire at Quatro Vientos, Spain and a Buchon for comparison.

51792821492_bb4e7b01cd_b.jpg
HA-1109 K1L

51797756751_3c679e2627_b.jpg
DSC_4006

Last edited:
A b it more stooging about leads me to suspect the aircraft might have been modified for a movie role. In 1957 the film Der Stern von Afrika appeared, this had a Hispano K1L painted to look like Marseille's aircraft, although the cowl was not altered. The movie relied on aircraft from the Ejercito del Aire and desert scenes were filmed in Spain. Now I don't know if there is a link between the film and our mystery aircraft, but there is a possibility the picture was taken in Germany or mainland Europe at least, as it has no swastika. The British had no difficulty portraying Bf 109s in the making of Battle of Britain with swastikas, and neither did the Spanish in that film, but the earlier film the swastikas are not seen in film shots.

Not really much help, but we are getting there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back