eBay: Messerschmitt Bf109 (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nr 1 9 kills

1703679851866.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Gear swing using the A/C Hydraulics's. Interesting how they tie down the A/C onto the jacks with the engine running! We always had either a portable hydraulic mule, or used the A/C's electric pumps if so equipped.

A lot of different types off the top of my head A-4, A-5, A-7, F-4, F-14, Beach 18, Embraer 110, Shorts 360, YS-11, CV-580 & 600, DC-6, DC-8, DC-9, DC-10, MD-80, B-727, B-757, B-747, Airbus A-319, 320, 330. I don't know if I actually swung the gear on all those types, but most of them.

Also we never swung all the gear outside, a few times we swung the Nose Gear outside, but never the MLG that I can recall.

Note; I edited the list of A/C as I miss typed DC-7, it should have been DC-8. I have corrected the list.

Last edited:
The 109 is only about 4500# empty. All of those on your list, except the Beech, are way heavier. Besides, like most improvements in aviation, the changes are written in blood. So, maybe a couple fall off the jacks and some better ideas are put into practice.

The 109 is only about 4500# empty. All of those on your list, except the Beech, are way heavier. Besides, like most improvements in aviation, the changes are written in blood. So, maybe a couple fall off the jacks and some better ideas are put into practice.
Zippy, I agree with what you are saying, but I would think that a heavier A/C would be more stable on the Jacks than a Lighter A/C.

And looking closer at the picture in post #2790 the rear fuselage of the 109 is secured to the stand by cables, the cables near the wings seem to be secured to the jack pads, or the tp of the jacks? They do not seem to be securing the A/C down to the jacks. But it is hard to be sure exactly what the cables are attached to.

And I agree most aviation safety improvements are written in blood, but as an ex aviation maintenance tech the picture just sent a shiver up my spine. I have never even considered fulling jacking up any A/C outside, with or without the engine running! But I also am aware that when the shooting starts what is normal restrictions during times of peace are no longer in place.

Looking at the picture a 3rd time I suspect that the crew has either replaced or at least worked on the hydraulic system on the Right MLG, or is troubleshooting an issue with that side. The 4 crew in the back seem to be much more focused on the gear retraction than the 3 crew members in the foreground.

Whatever is actually going on it is a very interesting picture to my eyes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back