eBay: Messerschmitt Bf109 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No one other than Snautzer with the 109 electric motor guesses?

Eng

Heinz Sannemann II./JG3 "Udet" Sannemann und seine Me 109, Berneuil Frankreich 2./JG3 + 2014

1700479208432.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Did E-3's have the solid propeller spinner? I was going to say it was an E-7 but I have been incorrect so many times I am a bit shy of suggesting sub types.

Did E-3's have the solid propeller spinner? I was going to say it was an E-7 but I have been incorrect so many times I am a bit shy of suggesting sub types.

Actually, the "closed" type spinner was used with the E-4 firstly. Also, the E-4 and the E-7 had the "square" type of the cockpit hood. In the pic above the early type of the cockpit one can be noticed. The square E-4/E-7 cockpit canopy was retrofitted to the E-1 and E-3 so the spinner could be as well. But I haven't heard that the early, more rounded one was fitted to the later Emils. Secondly if it would be the E-7 there should be an additional open round hole below the oil intake ( in front of the exhaust pipes. ) However there were E-7s without the holes because it depended on the engine type used, IIRC. Additionally the spinner of the E-7 had usually the closing cap more pointy while the E-4 had more rounded cap. But it seems that both E-4 and E-7 could have then interchangeable. As a result the cockpit hood may be the clue only.
Here are two shots of the "Yellow 7" that show the spinner of the bare metal tone. It may indicate that the Emil had the spinner replaced with a new one.
Anyway, the site accessed with the link below states it was E-3 although a couple of other ones the E-7.

Oblt Horst Carganico Bf 109E.jpg

the pic source: Homepage-Titel - Major Horst Carganico

If somebody would be interested in, here a couple of charcteristic details for the typical Bf 109E-7.

View attachment 748641
View attachment 748640
the pic source: 7. Staffel III. Gruppe Jagdgeschwader 26 - 7./JG26
Good info!
For interest, I have researched the Bf 109 E spinner details in the VDM parts list. In that document the differences are listed as between the Bf 109 E with manual propeller adustment (DB 601 A or N) and Bf 109 E with automatic propeller (DB 601 A or N). There is a difference of propeller Hub detail, specifically the drive gear on the hub that adjusts the pitch. The notes do say that the different Hubs can be used if needed. Unfortunately, although there are different spinners listed, I do not have the detail page to tell if the solid spinner cap is
shown and if there are any notes to go with it. Additionally, I have found that the Bf 109 F 1,2 and 5 have a unique propshaft arrangement for the new Motor Cannon, different to the previous E and the later F 3 and 4 and the early G.
Cheers

Eng

Actually, the "closed" type spinner was used with the E-4 firstly. Also, the E-4 and the E-7 had the "square" type of the cockpit hood. In the pic above the early type of the cockpit one can be noticed. The square E-4/E-7 cockpit canopy was retrofitted to the E-1 and E-3 so the spinner could be as well. But I haven't heard that the early, more rounded one was fitted to the later Emils. Secondly if it would be the E-7 there should be an additional open round hole below the oil intake ( in front of the exhaust pipes. ) However there were E-7s without the holes because it depended on the engine type used, IIRC. Additionally the spinner of the E-7 had usually the closing cap more pointy while the E-4 had more rounded cap. But it seems that both E-4 and E-7 could have then interchangeable. As a result the cockpit hood may be the clue only.
Here are two shots of the "Yellow 7" that show the spinner of the bare metal tone. It may indicate that the Emil had the spinner replaced with a new one.
Anyway, the site accessed with the link below states it was E-3 although a couple of other ones the E-7.

View attachment 748634
the pic source: Homepage-Titel - Major Horst Carganico
I like that bare metal spinner - would be something different to do on a model

Good info!
For interest, I have researched the Bf 109 E spinner details in the VDM parts list. In that document the differences are listed as between the Bf 109 E with manual propeller adustment (DB 601 A or N) and Bf 109 E with automatic propeller (DB 601 A or N). There is a difference of propeller Hub detail, specifically the drive gear on the hub that adjusts the pitch. The notes do say that the different Hubs can be used if needed. Unfortunately, although there are different spinners listed, I do not have the detail page to tell if the solid spinner cap is
shown and if there are any notes to go with it. Additionally, I have found that the Bf 109 F 1,2 and 5 have a unique propshaft arrangement for the new Motor Cannon, different to the previous E and the later F 3 and 4 and the early G.
Cheers

Eng

I agree. Additionally it should be said that the "closed" type spinner was used also for the Jabo variants of the Emils. As a result it can be found not only on the E-7, E-7/N, E-4/N but also on the E-3/B, E-4/B, E-4 trop, E-7/B, E-7/Z and E-7 trop. And that's the reason that the Emil type may be confused often because of the assumption that the spinner is the main feature that determines the E-7 only.

Other than being dead for a little over a year it all checks out. :)
Well, Wiki has him killed 28 Nov 1940, so that would look like Jan '41 on the writing and about 2 months after his death.
Photo in post #2727 looks to be in a early Winter setting, possibly shortly before Wick's death in Nov '40. Incidentally, the aircraft he is getting out of looks to possibly be the one he was lost in, W.Nr 5344.

Eng

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back