Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Think it is a C model notice lamp in right wing.
Resp:
Very good. That means it was assembled in Dallas, TX. The first real 'C' model I ever saw (in the flesh) was in Harlingen, TX in 1968 in a hanger used by the Confederate Air Force. The fuselage was propped up on 55 gal drums at the rear of the hanger, with the wings lying flat on the floor. The story is that this Mustang was stored in a Montana barn after it was purchased from the Govt post WWII. It remained in the hanger until around the mid 1960s, later to be acquired by the CAF. Since funds were in short supply (seeking out other rare aircraft) this 'C' model wasn't refurbished until the 1980s and displayed in the markings of the Tuskegee Airmen. I cannot remember the tact number, but it was never fitted with a dorsal fin.

*WWII photo- 325th Fighter Group- P 51 Fighter plane Nose Art- EILEEN HONEY* | eBay

1556999205254.jpeg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Resp:
Resp:
Nice photos. The Swedish Mustang photo is post WWII? A few years ago I visited a flying museum in Houston, TX and saw up close three P-51Ds. One was a P-51D-5NA that is likely the oldest airworthy D model. At some point, it was retro fitted with a dorsal fin, common to all subsequent built D models. The mechanic (who was working on the engine) never realized the aircraft's significance, other than it still had the original propeller. He said that the museum owner would surely like to know this tidbit.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
D models were refurbed for use in Korea and were equipped with Aeroproducts props at that time. Postwar they found that the cuffs allowed water to get between the cuff and the prop and promote corrosion, so they were removed even on Ham Standard props.

A friend of mine, a WWII and postwar maintenance chief, pointed out that a major reason for the cuffs was to streamline the base of the prop, which was more or less just cylindrical and thus not very aerodynamic.

D models were refurbed for use in Korea and were equipped with Aeroproducts props at that time. Postwar they found that the cuffs allowed water to get between the cuff and the prop and promote corrosion, so they were removed even on Ham Standard props.

A friend of mine, a WWII and postwar maintenance chief, pointed out that a major reason for the cuffs was to streamline the base of the prop, which was more or less just cylindrical and thus not very aerodynamic.
Resp:
I read many years ago that the USAF(F?) mothballed 100 P-51D/K Mustangs in Japan (occupation force) after fighter jets phased out prop types. This P-51s were refurbished when the Korean War began. National Guard F-51D/K's were used to supplement/replace these Japanese stored Mustangs. I wonder if any of the 100 still had 'cuffed' propellers.

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I must ask what that little bulge/scoop is directly in front of the windscreen? Is there an access panel there that is open?
Resp:
Good eye! First time I have seen that, and I have spent much time around Mustangs. Also, this Mustang appears to have a non-cuffed propeller.

Regarding the prop .. I would say it is still the Hamilton-Standard HS 24D50-87 cuffed one. Just it stopped at position the pic makes the impression of the non-cuffed blades. Please note the bottom and right prop blade in the enlarged shot . What is more the plane had the cuffed prop blades in the late 50' as well.

1558522131473b.jpg

NA-P-51d-mustang- Swiss-J2113 1957.jpg

NA-P-51d-mustang- Swiss-J2113 1958.jpg

the pic source: North American P-51D Mustang, Hasegawa 1:32 von Helmut Dominik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back