Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Original WWII photo A P51 with drop tanks and ETO stripes | eBay

1581160322730.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wanted to share this photo of a P-51A in what I would guess to be RAF colors. I took the photo in the mid-1980s. I found the original slide and digitized the image. I do not know the serial number of the airplane or if it still even exists.

P-51A in color -  RAF scheme_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to share this photo of a P-51A in what I would guess to be RAF colors. I took the photo in the mid-1980s. I found the original slide and digitized the image. I do not know the serial number of the airplane or if it still even exists.

View attachment 569731
In RAF colors, it would be a Mustang II. However, while hard to tell, the L wing looks like it has three gun ports. If so, it would be a Mustang MkI. Where was it when photographed?

The P-51A in the scanner colour slide is 43-6251 N4235Y currently flying as "Miss Virginia" as part of Planes of Fame Air Museum, Chino, CA. This attempt at a RAF NAA Mustang Mk.I early delivery scheme was as the aircraft was painted in the 1980s. Then in the 1990s it went for a time into a RAF c&m scheme that was supposed to represent that of the RAF Mustang Mk.I flown by F/O Hollis Hills RCAF during the Dieppe operation in 1942. Was used in that scheme for filming a documentary about the P-51. Then 2006 after a period of inactivity and restoration, went into its current scheme of "Miss Virginia" a P-51A of the 1st Air Commando in CBI WW2. Was put last year, into a temporary scheme once again representing that of Mustang Mk.I flown by F/O Hills RCAF for filming of a documentary about the Mustang due out sometime this year. Has since been returned to "Miss Virginia" scheme. MustangMustangs website has a number of photos online of this aircraft in its various schemes during its history.

In RAF colors, it would be a Mustang II. However, while hard to tell, the L wing looks like it has three gun ports. If so, it would be a Mustang MkI. Where was it when photographed?
I took the photo at the Chino Airfield in southern California. If I'm not mistaken, it was a part of the Chino Air Museum. Colford's thread gives all the details and they match my timeline.\

The P-51A in the scanner colour slide is 43-6251 N4235Y currently flying as "Miss Virginia" as part of Planes of Fame Air Museum, Chino, CA. This attempt at a RAF NAA Mustang Mk.I early delivery scheme was as the aircraft was painted in the 1980s. Then in the 1990s it went for a time into a RAF c&m scheme that was supposed to represent that of the RAF Mustang Mk.I flown by F/O Hollis Hills RCAF during the Dieppe operation in 1942. Was used in that scheme for filming a documentary about the P-51. Then 2006 after a period of inactivity and restoration, went into its current scheme of "Miss Virginia" a P-51A of the 1st Air Commando in CBI WW2. Was put last year, into a temporary scheme once again representing that of Mustang Mk.I flown by F/O Hills RCAF for filming of a documentary about the Mustang due out sometime this year. Has since been returned to "Miss Virginia" scheme. MustangMustangs website has a number of photos online of this aircraft in its various schemes during its history.
Great info ColFord. I had no idea about the history of the airplane but your information matches my timeline. The Chino Planes of Fame had an awesome collection of WWII planes. I have not been back there in 30+ years. They put on a fantastic airshow back in the day. Would like to visit there again.

P-51D, American Beauty. I took the photo in 2017 at the Olympia Air Show in Washington State. The question I have is this camo paint scheme is in light blue yet all photos I have seen of this airplane depict the identical camo pattern but in olive drab. Which is correct?

full.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back