Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dana, that's interesting info.
From what I remember of the analysis done in the early 1980's, mentioned in my previous post, study of the dyes and colour couplers in the emulsion of the 4 x 5 transparency, after examination of any degradation, recipositry etc, strongly suggested that the original colour (as painted) was of a dark green hue, but was possibly a mix of pigments used to make this, with a blue shade very possibly being one of them.
The conclusions at the time only stated that the visible colour, however, was 'green' - no percentage colour spectrum was stated.
Although it's possible that a 'field mix' of paints was used, my personal feelings are that, the paint(s) used to cover the upper-surface AEAF stripes were very probably those that were available at the time, in dark shades, with one of them possibly / probably being Insignia Blue, as used for the roundel of the 'stars and bars'.
Closer examination of the painted areas on the fin etc, strongly suggested that these areas were a different shade again, and were a green hue ( I believe this was some of the RAF Dark Green ).
With a lack, or shortage of suitable camouflage colours in greens / browns, this would have been a logical choice, and, had it been my decision at the time, this would have been 'dulled' at least a little, by darkening it with whatever was available to those ground crew carrying out the work, in order to provide a more neutral 'shadow' tone for use as temporary camouflage on the ground, with the addition of black or a dark grey probably being the available choices.
Of course, this, again, is at least somewhat speculative, but may account for the origins of the reports of 'blue' P-51s, and the eventual change to green(s), which seems to tie-in with info imparted during conversations with the historian at the Bottisham Airfield Museum a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Terry.

USAAF 9th Air Force 10th Photo Recon Squadron officers group photograph P-51 | eBay

1582283921099.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've noticed that some P-51As have a different looking gun installation where the 4 guns (2 on each wing) protrude. Were these different guns installed for British aircraft?

Spitlead, the Mustangs with the gun installation protruding forward of the wing leading edge are P-51 Mustangs - no suffix - NAA designation NA-91, 150 aircraft order for the RAF under Lend Lease, which were armed with 4 x 20mm Hispano cannon. The armament on those aircraft was as per the British specification for that particular batch. The protrusions forward of the wing leading edge is part of the gun mounting arrangements, the 20mm Hispano cannon being larger in overall size than the 0.50in Browning Heavy Machine Gun.

The NA-91 was the Mustang Mk.IA in RAF service, entered operational service with RAF in June 1943, last recorded operational sorties with RAF just before VE-Day.

NA-91 P-51 Mustang was followed in order of production by NAA, by the NA-93 A-36A Mustang, then the NA-99 P-51A Mustang. Armament on the A-36 and P-51A were respectively 6 x 0.50in Browning HMGs and 4 x 0.50in Browning HMGs, which was as per USAAF requirements/specification for those types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back