eBay: Soviet Airforce and other arms

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMHO the early I-16 type 5 or 12 with initial cockpit canopy hood sliding forward. The OP-1 gunsight was dismounted. At the top of the fairing of the headrest , the remnat of the PAU-22 gun camera mount although it looks like a field, temporary mount for the camera rather. The standard mount for the gun camera was something rare on early type I-16 to nearly 1940

The standard mount ...

the pic source: The weapons and loads of the I-16

I'm not entirely sure, but it's probably a "homemade" installation of an older SLP device in place of the PAU-22.

I-16 type 5, 61 aviation brigade, Baltic Navy.
Seems, that this installation was not so rare.

Addendum: this is the standard installation of the SL-17 device.

Last edited:
View attachment 762561
I-16 type 5, 61 aviation brigade, Baltic Navy.
Seems, that this installation was not so rare.

Actually it is difficult to state if the all six I-16s had the gun camera with the mount type installed. We can see the two only, So 2/4 isn't a thing we can call often or common. It is possible they mounted them for the propaganda reason just in the squadron. In other VVS regiments it might have been different . Anyway I agree on the home/field made mount. It looks like.

the pic source: I-16. Photos.

The same photo with caption in Russian:

I would state it differently: the use of camera guns in the Soviet Air Force both before and during the war was not very common at all. Therefore, the difference between homemade and factory installation can be quite nominal.

I'm not entirely sure, but it's probably a "homemade" installation of an older SLP device in place of the PAU-22.

Judging the Bf 109 in the background I assumed it was 1940 or later. The PAU-22 would be more likely for the time. But looking at the I-16 type 5 of the Baltic Fleet I have to admit you are right that the mount ( or its rement ) could be for the earlier type of the soviet gun camera. So the SLP seems to be the one that the mount was for.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread