Ebay Warning

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Very probably many of you bid on items on ebay. There are cautions in regard to that activity and recently a new one came to light.

A man bid on a piece of WWII aircraft equipment and was the winning bidder. There was only one other bidder and after he had paid for the item he found out who it was.

It was him.

"Someone" had established a new ebay account using one of his alternate, little used, e-mail addresses. I think most people have more than one e-mail account and often they do not check on it very often. For example the other one I have now is linked to my yahoo group memberships, and e-mail from it does not automatically flow over into my normally used Internet Service Provider e-mail account.

That new ebay account - which unbeknown to him was he, himself - was used to bid against him in that auction. That way, either way, he got the bill with no way to trace where the bidding came from. Of course this increased the price he paid.

The only person I can think of who could have done this was the seller. Only the seller has access to who the bidders really are. I strongly urged him to inform ebay of this scam.

So BEWARE! There is a sucker born every minute and a criminal born every 5 sec.

Last edited:
Very probably many of you bid on items on ebay. There are cautions in regard to that activity and recently a new one came to light.

A man bid on a piece of WWII aircraft equipment and was the winning bidder. There was only one other bidder and after he had paid for the item he found out who it was.

It was him.

"Someone" had established a new ebay account using one of his alternate, little used, e-mail addresses. I think most people have more than one e-mail account and often they do not check on it very often. For example the other one I have now is linked to my yahoo group memberships, and e-mail from it does not automatically flow over into my normally used Internet Service Provider e-mail account.

That new ebay account - which unbeknown to him was he, himself - was used to bid against him in that auction. That way, either way, he got the bill with no way to trace where the bidding came from. Of course this increased the price he paid.

The only person I can think of who could have done this was the seller. Only the seller has access to who the bidders really are. I strongly urged him to inform ebay of this scam.

So BEWARE! There is a sucker born every minute and a criminal born every 5 sec.
It wasn"t you was it?;)

There is another "thing" going on on ebay that I noticed today.

I was looking for uniform colours for German despatch riders as I have the kit from Zvezda which is a despatch rider sitting on his
bike receiving a satchel and instructions from an officer in a greatcoat. I bought it because it was only $8 and for 1/35th seemed
pretty good.

While looking at images for riders I found a link to one on ebay. I thought it might be worth a look.

Big shock!! It states it is bronze and the starting price is $149.00!!!! Thing is it is the exact same figures and bike in the same
poses that I got in the Zvezda kit.

It looks to be the type of patinating bronze you buy to paint onto resin. I looked at some other items from the same seller and
some of them look familiar.

Buyer beware I suppose.

Last edited:
Like the above I only have one email and with all the crapola that arrives everyday that one is enough. As to Ebay and Paypal I can say with all honesty that I have never had a problem resolving any and all problems with a seller, especially those in China. I try very hard not to buy anything from China and my bank will not allow any funds to be sent to Shanghai because of all the fraud perpetrated from that local. Buying from a seller in China is a crapshoot and about 50% of the time either I never receive the item, or its knock-off junk, or mostly just not what they advertised and not what I purchased.
CAVEAT EMPTOR!

No, t'was not me nor myself or my secret identity. I do not know the gentleman that got took in that deal but he and I both are members of a e-mail group dealing with WWII aircraft electronics. I used to have a work e-mail address as well as personal one, but after I was laid off that one went away. I do have an alternate e-mail address via Yahoo but that is because the commenting tool, Discus, shows up as spam at my Earthlink account and so the required verification e-mails do not work.

One ebay scam I have been told is there was a seller on ebay out of Australia that would buy copies of WWII documents, claim a copyright, and then protest every time anyone else tried to sell a copy. Ebay believed him.

The only problem I have had there lately are items they falsely claim comes from a specific aircraft (my case B-10). When I ask them how do they know it comes from it they always stumble and say they're not sure.

The last DML Mistel S2 that I bought on Ebay has the sprue for a Ju88G-6 or a Ju88G-10 stabilizer set in place of the regular sprue. I'm not too concerned as I plan to build a Mistel S1 with it if I live long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back