Eben-Emael and Bastogne visits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
This weekend I was able to visit the fortress at Eben-Emael and go to Bastogne. I actually never heard of Eben-Emael before and was told about it by a local here in Antwerp. I wish I could have gone inside as there are 5km of tunnels, but I during this time of year it's not always open. Then I headed south to Bastogne to see the memorial they have there. The people are extremely grateful to the 101st airborne and other units that helped to liberate the town. What I didn't know is the military barracks that Gen. McAuliffe and many others used are still there and they have some very nice diorama's set up. I have a lot more pictures but this will give you an idea of what is there.

This is the main entrance to the fortress
DSCF0279.JPG

One of several blocks that contained 3 75mm guns
DSCF0288.JPG

The memorial at Bastogne. They are doing some remodeling and building a new museum
DSCF0309.JPG

Tank at the Barracks in Bastogne
DSCF0325.JPG

Model of Gen McAuliffe talking with his commanders. This is in his actual office
DSCF0329.JPG

Soldier working the switchboard. You see the lines coming out of the back which were connected to field radios. Visitors that were there in 1944 said as many as 200 lines actually came into that room.
DSCF0332.JPG

American .50cal AA gun
DSCF0360.JPG

Here are a couple more. The first picture shows the entrance to the barracks. I left the one picture full size so you could expand it and see the yellow circles I marked. The spot on the brick is where a soldiers .45 hit the wall (unrelated incident to the picture being taken) and you can see it in the old picture too. The photo is of Gen. McAuliffe is in place of the window that is in the picture. The same with the picture of the C-47's dropping supplies. The buildings to the right are the same ones on the right side of the picture.

(edit) I changed the image size from 4.8meg to 1.4meg so it would load faster. Admins, if the picture needs to be resized more, please do.

Attachments

• DSCF0303.JPG
    DSCF0303.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF0326.JPG
    DSCF0326.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF0328.JPG
    DSCF0328.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread