Ex Military Amphibious Flying Boats... Non-Combat uses.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rufus123

Airman 1st Class
Sep 1, 2013
I have always thought for the well healed retired person that was a pilot and could maintain the craft these flying boats would make amazing vacation homes. When I have looked around to satisfy my curiosity I noticed that there does not seem to be a modern version in production.

Well, maybe a Dornier Seastar or a Canadair CL-215.

It seems these would make a great hotel room you can take with you.

In calm weather when you have nothing but time use it a house boat slowly making your way to the next deserted island you want to visit. If the weather is going to be bad or you are in a bigger hurry get out above the clouds. Fishing off of a wing would be fun.

Land at an airport someplace to resupply when if you decide to go inland on a continent you are still taking your hotel room with you. No packing needed.

It might not be as much fun as it sounds to me but it sounds like one heck of a nice retirement.

"Hey Honey, where would you like point the flying boat today"

"Well, I have not seen Madagascar yet"

"Wouldn't you rather go to that little 4-6 acre island and hang out there for a few days?"

I wonder if you could have a custom sail kit built for when the wind was going the right direction so that you can have maybe 1kt casual not in a hurry speed?

I guess it would be an expensive 'hobby', maintaining such an aircraft, but I've always fancied an Albatross, for just those reasons - flying around, with the ability to land on water or land, accommodation on board, and space for a friend or two.
Well, I can dream, can't I ?

Great idea Erich. If I win the lottery, I'll give you a call ! Of course,the Albatross would have to be named 'Monty' ..... think about it!

When I was a kid I use to dream about having a Catilina so I could go wherever I wanted to, kinda like the ultimate RV. Jimmy Buffett had an Albatross, but its at the Universal Islands of Adventure theme park now.

Attachments

• P1050060.JPG
    P1050060.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 140
  • P1050116.JPG
    P1050116.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 142
There was an Albatross down here 15 or so years ago, and the owner was doing just that.
Cruising around the world, and parking up for a few weeks at each location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back