Experience with Weapons

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chief2387

Airman
Nov 15, 2015
Reinholds, PA
This may be to broad and I may make two threads for gun and blade.

I'm not asking what you own. I don't like the idea of posting online what guns you own for the world to see.
It just screams not wise to me.

Anyway this thread is about what you have owned and by your experience what you would prefer to own be it for home defense, plinking, just because, etc.

For example; I'm comfortable saying I own a Ruger Single Six revolver. It's a peacemaker style. I haven't fired it, yet but all review are this is a good gun.
Reliable, powerful with the .22 mag. Though by my understanding it's not a home defense fire arm. Not that it wouldn't be good as a home defense arm.
But you load it with a plate the slides out, while the cylinder stays in place. However, this can be viewed as a blessing as it forces you to slow down and pick you shots.
This gun is accurate and reliable being sold since 1953 is still popular. It's probably the best trainer for Beginners to intermediate shooter; it uses .22LR/.22Mag round which are cheap compared to other gun rounds. Also, you can easily swap the two Cylinders by simple pressing a button just forward of the cylinder, pullling the cylinder housing pin out, and swapping the cylinders. You don't see that kind of simplicity these days.

I can get bullets for anywhere from $7.00-$14.00 though mag rounds are a little harder to come by.
The gun itself looks to be asking $350 to $450 used to $450 to $600 used.

Note: 1973 and they change the trigger and hammer by adding a transfer bar mechanism which prevent the hammer from making contact with the firing pin.
1973 and earlier the hammer had four cocking positions when pulling it back.

Prior to 1973
First **** position- Fully down
Second **** position- Safe
Third **** postion- releases cylinder to spin for reloading.
last is firing position.

1973 and after.
The cylinder spins with hammer in fully down position. (-much safer with the cylinder bar.)

It is used in competition shooting to great effect with barrel length options from 4-5/8", 6-1/2" and 9-1/2"

Note I could be wrong with the date of the mechanism switch. I'll do more research and edit later if so.

Anyway this is a superb gun for any collection.

Now I would like to learn what firearms y'all are familiar with. It don't have to be a review like I posted though it does help show why you love said gun or whatever weapon your posting.

What weapons basically come down to is, what is it's intended purpose?, how comfortable and able that you can handle it and how much training you have with them. .22lr is great for plinking ,training and target shooting and then from there there's thousands of articles and opinions on which ammo, fire arm etc is "best". This could turn into a Ford vs Chevy vs Ram discussion. Find out what you want to do with a gun. Go to a range where you can rent and get training for it and see what works best for you. I had/have Cz's,HPs,1911's,H&K's,Berettas,Smith&Wessons,Ruger's,Glocks,Springfield XD series,Walthers,Sigs. All are different, all have their plus and minus's, I tend to like CZ's,Beretta's,XD's,1911s and Sigs for semi's, for revolvers I prefer Smiths.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Torch. I agree completely. Also, keep in mind with all people are different, some people are smaller than others some have different hand sizes. While a Beretta is a quality fire arm it does require a somewhat bigger hand to use. There's also the tactical mentality. Do I want volumn of fire and quick reload a 1911 or a Glock type pistol will fit that role or do want reliability, accuracy and high power with a revolver like the Ruger mentioned. It is a debate, but one I feel needs to be asked to clarify the myths of the gun going around. Education clarifies cloudy subject and this is definitely one of those.

Which is the point of the thread. I want to shed light on what guns people have used and what their experiences has led them to feel on the matter. More specifically I want know what guns people generally like and what kind of quarks they've experienced and what they did to compensate. Although, I realize there are website dedicated to this. There really isn't any discussion really on those sites. This is a chance to do that. Though I do hope we can be civil about it as this is a hot button issue.

The changes to the Ruger (and many other types) is due to a "drop" issue. This is to take into consideration that the weapon may be dropped and in such a manner, that the hammer strikes the ground and the energy is transferred directly from hammer to firing pin, creating a potential for an AD.

This is one of the reasons why several pistols, like the Colt 1911A1 cannot be sold new in California, because of that "drop test" failure.

As far as a .22 wheelgun goes, I have an older H&R "Marshal", which has a 9 round cylinder chambered for .22 mag/.22LR/.22 short and is alot of fun to plink with.

For home defense, it all depends on the situation and where I may be at during such an occasion. There's a S&W 39-2 9mm available, as well as a Rock Island 1911 .45 or a Ruger GP100 .357 revolver or even a military issue Remington squareback autoloader...

There's also several other items that could be used for home defense like a hardwood practice Katana sitting by the bed (that would probably be the most gratifying out of all of the options, to be honest).

Last edited:
As a Brit owning firearms is a big no, no.

I would love a .22 rimfire but i would also love the spare time to warrent owning one !
All my experiance is military issued weapons, learned to shoot with a Lee Enfield No 4, have a bit of experience with a Bren gun then the L1A1 and L7A2 gpmg (mag 60 ?), Browning Hi Power and sterling L2A3 smg.

When visiting a friend in Santa Rosa about 10 years ago his Dad owned a Baretta M9 and we went to a range and was very pleased with my performance with it even though it had been over 10 years since I'd handled any sort of weapon, also got to fire a colt 1911, which was a great experiance for me !

I'm like Karl. Since the changes in the UK gun laws over the years, it's now virtually impossible to own anything except single-shot .22, or 'full bore' sporting weapons.
I used to own a Kar98K, a Walther P38, and a Enfield No8 (the .22LR version of the No4), which all had to go.
Having been a firearms instructor, and then continuing for 14 years lecturing on the subject, I've had the opportunity to fire many military weapons, from pistol to light AT, and of course personal weapons in the military, including the L1A1 SLR, M-16, Browning GP, along with the BREN, L7A2 GPMG, Stirling, etc etc.
All I have now is a de-activated (but working parts function) Type56-2, the Chinese version of the AK-47 (AKM) with folding stocj and 'Bakelite' magazine.
Happy to say though I haven't lost the touch, probably due to being taught 'properly', by my father, at the age of 7 - in general, if I aim at it, I hit it !!

Slightly changing subject, the one rifle i'd love to go to the range with is an M-14, on single occasions i've fired an Ak-47 and an M-16, i also didnt mention the L85 in its original issue though it prety bad !

The L-85 as first designed (before production versions entered service), would have been good, but now, it's improved from very bad, to just bad !
The daft thing is, when the decision was made to standardise on 5.56mm for NATO, UK factories were already producing the M-16 for overseas customers, so we could have had an 'off the shelf', proven weapon, straight away, at much less initial cost, and also saved all the hassle and extra expense of trying to improve the poor quality !

I have a pic of Wojtek in his younger days !

denis-pericol-public_3.jpg

The L-85 as first designed (before production versions entered service), would have been good, but now, it's improved from very bad, to just bad !
The daft thing is, when the decision was made to standardise on 5.56mm for NATO, UK factories were already producing the M-16 for overseas customers, so we could have had an 'off the shelf', proven weapon, straight away, at much less initial cost, and also saved all the hassle and extra expense of trying to improve the poor quality !

Sums it up nicely !

Chief, et al, to remind, there is an entire thread here called: "THE GUNS WE OWN" where I and many others have posted the various guns that we own.
Here in the good old USofA the 2nd still protects our right to "keep and bear arms"
I've posted all of mine except for my latest an HK 91 the civy version of the G3A3. It fires the 7.62 X 51 shell and is essentially an M14
I also picked up a Henry Golden Boy lever action in Hornady .17cal

Chief, et al, to remind, there is an entire thread here called: "THE GUNS WE OWN" where I and many others have posted the various guns that we own.
Here in the good old USofA the 2nd still protects our right to "keep and bear arms"
I've posted all of mine except for my latest an HK 91 the civy version of the G3A3. It fires the 7.62 X 51 shell and is essentially an M14
I also picked up a Henry Golden Boy lever action in Hornady .17cal

Aw come on Mike, your making me jealous !

OK. Being more serious.... as a cadet I used the AK-47 , PK machine gun and FB PM-63. Later when I became a professional military I had the TT pistol, P-64 and P-83.

As kids, my friends and I were deadly with home-made slingshots, catapults and bows. If seen with them in use today, we'd be arrested, and we'd certainly be useful as silent killers !

Terry.. do you remember the "Thierry la Fronde" movie series? I had a such one too.... a very useful tool.:lol:

sling_shot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back