Experience with Weapons

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK. Being more serious.... as a cadet I used the AK-47 , PK machine gun and FB PM-63. Later when I became a professional military I had the TT pistol, P-64 and P-83.

As a cadet i was on an exercise and we were sat having a break when 4 rough looking blokes with slightly long hair and taches went past they waved hello and i noticed one was carrying a PKM !

Wasn't me, honest !
I don't know of that series Wojtek, but we used to make our slings from a piece of leather cut from the heel of an old shoe, and a length of para chord. We were amazingly accurate, over quite a range, as we were too with our home-made long bows and arrows. The catapults were deadly at shorter ranges, especially when using small ball bearings !!

I should've searched apologies. But, I thought on a sight like this a thread like that would've been front page. Although, this thread can be used for weapons beside the guns we own.

I have a few BUDK swords and knives. My favorite right now is a Black Panther switch blade.

Wasn't me, honest !
I don't know of that series Wojtek, but we used to make our slings from a piece of leather cut from the heel of an old shoe, and a length of para chord. We were amazingly accurate, over quite a range, as we were too with our home-made long bows and arrows. The catapults were deadly at shorter ranges, especially when using small ball bearings !!

It wasn't me too.

As far as the slings are concerned... same here. It seems that our early years were almost the same. :D

I was about 7yo. all the other kids had BB-guns, the old Daisy Red Rider type. I got the usual: "You'll shoot your eye out kid" from Mom. So I made a big old sling-shot out of wood and used surgical rubber tubing to power it. My missile of choice were Dad's roofing-nails (he had a huge 50lb keg of them). Could put one half way through a pine 2 x 4. They soon decided I was safer shooting BBs

My first brush with the law was just after i was given a bow and arrow set fo my birthday.
The type with no fletchings and rubber sucker tips.

Well after shortening the string, fletching the arrows with cardboard milk cartons and replacing th suckers with dart heads, i some how managed to skewer a pigeon in our back garden.

Problem was the garden backed onto lots of allotments containing racing pigeon sheds and i killed a racing pigeon, police arrived with said deceased bird with my arrow still stuck in it.

Dont know if dad beat me for killing the bird or not being careful enough to not get observed whilst taking the shot !

Though in my defence i was 7 years old !

Last edited:
In short I have great "experience" with...

M-16/Ar-15
M-60D
M-249G
Beretta M-9
Beretta 96A-1
M-1911
XD45
Winchester 30-30
Various models of Mauser K98 and VZ24
Various .22's
Various Shotguns

As for weapons that I own, they are listed in the "Guns We Own" thread. I just currently bought an Ar-15 though to add to that list (just have one more payment and I can take it home)...

Last edited:
I'd love to own a leopard gun at some point myself. Sawed-off DbL-barrel shotgun.
I can't think of anything that'll brown on intruders pants faster.

...I can't think of anything that'll brown on intruders pants faster.
I can think of a sound that'll make an intruder turn to Jesus real fast while soiling himself at the same time:
In the still of the night, release the bolt-lock on my Autoloader

The sound of that mechanism closing is about the single most intimidating sound I've ever heard.

They are actually saying not to do that anymore, have it locked and loaded with the safety on. The bolt releasing can give your position away.

Dave, I think I can come up with one: The SNICKER-SNAACK about 10ft away, in the dark, of my Remington 870 Express Tactical pump 12ga chambering a round. First 3" shells are 7.5 birdshot and the remaining 4 are 00 buck

They are actually saying not to do that anymore, have it locked and loaded with the safety on. The bolt releasing can give your position away.
I never keep one in the pipe.
If the situation dictates that I need to be on the down-low, I can ease the bolt into place by holding back the slide and depressing the lock.

But if a bad guy is in my domain, I have the upperhand regardless and closing the bolt on the Autoloader is more of a psychological tool. Besides, yes, it makes noise, but they only get a general idea of where it's coming from in the darkness.

They will also know that the sound they just heard will be followed by something horrible and now would be a good time to make peace.

Dave, I think I can come up with one: The SNICKER-SNAACK about 10ft away, in the dark, of my Remington 870 Express Tactical pump 12ga chambering a round. First 3" shells are 7.5 birdshot and the remaining 4 are 00 buck
I agree Mike, the sound of a pump is unmistakable and certainly is the herald of destruction.

My Autoloader is set up with #9 low brass, followed by #6 high brass and then hollowpoint rifled slugs. It also has a withering RoF.

I do like autoloaders but 12gauges tend to be a bit on the heavy/clumsy side with a significant recoil. For inside home defense I prefer my Mossberg SA-20 Tactical. The 20ga autoloader is light, short, and highly maneuverable with a much lighter recoil. While the perception of the 20 is a "Youth Gun" the 20 performs just as the 12 just with less lead. The rifled slugs weigh in at between 5/8 to ¾ ounces, and launch at between 1,500 to 1,600 fps. If we quantify 20-gauge slugs using handgun cartridge nomenclature, the shells are launching .62 caliber bullets weighing between 273 to 328 grains at 400 to 500 fps faster than most defensive handgun rounds.
Common 20-gauge buckshot loads are filled with 20 pellets of No. 3 buckshot. Each shot pellet is a .25-caliber ball weighing 23.4 grains. This gives the shell a total payload of 468 grains with a velocity of around 1,200 fps. Not exactly wimpy

I must admit I do like my semi custom 870 with 00 choke, 7 rds in the extended tube, 6 on the side saddle and if anything the clack-clack would at least wake up my Italian Mastiff so she could do her job :)

I respect the enthusiasm that the US members have for personal gun ownership. As to whether gun ownership makes US society safer,. or even US families safer, that's a debateable issue. all the statistics available suggest that a heightened gun ownership rate does not make the society safer. just the opposite actually.

Having said that, I can relate to the reasons why people might wish to own a gun for home protection. in Australia you cant own a firearm for "home protection". All guns in private ownership need to be licensed and if you were to put on the license application that you wanted the weapon for protection, the application would be rejected. Valid reasons for gun ownership might include firearms collection of antiques, club membership, pest control (as a farmer). Within those parameters its fairly easy to obtain gun ownership, though you can forget it if you have a record, or if you have a record of mental illness. you must also complete a fairly rigorous gun safety course and pass the examination that goes with that. There is a 28 day mandatory waiting perod from when you apply to when you get your licence

I recently seriously considered re-applying for my gun licence, which is why I know about it. I already have a licence to carry firearms for my work but not at home, but all this carry on in the US and paris recently made me realise how vulnerable we are to the lunatic elements.

If I were to acquire a weapon or weapons for home security, I think there would be three broad categories, handgun, rifle and close range shotgun. I would go for weapons I am familiar with I think, although the rifle would need to be a bit of a departure from that.

I was considering 9mm Browning, 12 gauge pump action police issue 8 shot chamber short barrel, rifle probably a lever action small bore maybe 0.243 calibre
or similar.

For the moment, whilst I try and figure this out, I have a baseball bat, and a 70lb bow that I rely on. The bow I can hit you with a crippling shot at 90m if I need to.....

I was considering 9mm Browning, 12 gauge pump action police issue 8 shot chamber short barrel, rifle probably a lever action small bore maybe 0.243 calibre
or similar.

I thought pump action shot guns were illegal to own here? My Dad had to hand his in during the buy back. As for home defence, I own two bolt action rifles (not the reason they were purchased for). I reckon if I let off a round from my Springfield 30-06 in the dead of night it would scare the living sh*t out of any intruder :lol:

I thought pump action shot guns were illegal to own here? My Dad had to hand his in during the buy back. As for home defence, I own two bolt action rifles (not the reason they were purchased for). I reckon if I let off a round from my Springfield 30-06 in the dead of night it would scare the living sh*t out of any intruder :lol:

I thought so too, but when I was speaking to the local gun shop they said they were still legal. Fully automatic shotguns are on the banned list, but pump actions not so

Youd know the on line shop for used guns I daresay; https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_shotguns/3

and a picture of one I was giving serious thought to:

12g pump.jpg

Last edited:
Did you guys see the video on knife attacks vs defender with a gun.

It's show the reason why people tend to get trigger happy with people regardless with what they have in there hand.

Within 10ft you won't get your gun from the holster to firing position and sending a round down range before the attacker closes the distance.
They did it with civilians and police officers. I'll try to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back