Experimetal b-17s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mark g

Recruit
Jan 2, 2010
ohio
i have seen pictures of the yb-40 but had heard that there was designs for a b-17 with 30 guns and was curious if this is right and if so if anyone would have drawings of this if it really is true i would appriciate it very much thank you

Your best bet would be to google for YB-40 or XB-40 for any images or detailed info...

I haven't heard of any 30 gun setup though, just the 16 gun YB-40.

The only good drawing of the YB-40 I know of, is this:

Attachments

• XB40_gunstations.jpg
    XB40_gunstations.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Never heard of a 30 gun Fort. The YB-40 with 16 guns and ammo couldn't keep up with the conventional B-17s after they dropped their loads. The idea (YB-40 gunships) was quickly abandoned.

And where would the extra 14 .50s be mounted?

Impossible.

TO

VB, there was that one B-17 that went on special missions in the Pacific.

Can't recall the pilot's name but he took an older fort and beefed it up. It was discussed here a while back, anyway it had additional fifties mounted on her, too.

Last edited:
I read about Zeamer in Flying Forts by Martin Caidin. It talked of the B-17 a little but as to how accurate Caidin was at telling a story I have my doubts but that's just me. Zeamer and his bombardier Joseph R Sonoski were both awarded the Medal of Honor.

Doing some more reading, and it was a configuration of a YB-40 that had room for up to 30 x .50 cals. Not sure of that was mounted or xtras carried. Have yet to find any drawing or pic.

Found a blurb about those versions carrying an extra Doresal (3?) and Ventra turret, 4/6 gun nose and tail turrets.

Last edited:
Found a blurb about those versions carrying an extra Doresal (3?) and Ventra turret, 4/6 gun nose and tail turrets.
See my post above that has the drawing for the 16-gun setup, including the extra turret over the Engineer's station.

It was also the YB-17's chin turret that was adapted to the later "G" model along with some late "F" models getting the field modification.

thank you so much for your guys reponses that chin turret is nasty. By the way i just signed up and would like to say hello hey and i think this site is awesome. I asked this question because i to thought how could that many guns on there. But then i thought i guess it could be possible because they had a B-25 with at least 18 guns on it. My only thought on howw it could be done was doubleing the guns at every station. Like on the YB-40 double waist guns and the turrets have four like some of the British bombers. Then put some other guns in a few other plces like six guns in the chin turret.

Also this one they mentioned i dont think they ever made it it just might have been a prposal.

It's a nice idea to have a staggering arsenal of weapons sticking out of every possible hole on the aircraft, but you have to have ammunition for it. And ammo comes with a price: weight.

Add to that the weight of the turrets and machine guns and/or cannon and you have some serious overwight issues.

One of the reasons why the YB-40 wasn't a success, was because it wasn't able to keep up with the B-17s after they dropped thier bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back