Extraordinary B-24 marking

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Theodor

Airman
Oct 29, 2007
Dear Sirs,

I am trying to find more information about the picture below. This is a B-24 "sitting" on its tail. But see the extraordinary roundel on the horizontal tail surface! What is it? What is the meaning of such emblem? Maybe a Pathfinder aircraft? Thanks in advance!

b24zo3.jpg

Maybe a lead aircraft for a formation? Seems very odd for the placement.

Assembly lead ships at least for the US usually where brightly colored. Maybe this one was used for taking over once the group was assembled?

Yes indeed - a Russian. The other one is Bulgarian. The location is probably Bulgaria or Hungary. The aircraft may be from the 15th AF, operating from Italy.

No, it's not RAF, it is USAAF - here found one 460th BG /15th AF/ B24 with such a roundel. Also, I think the aircraft from the frist photo has the same dark square at the opposite side of the tail /roundel on the left, square on the right/, like on this photo:

b24460bgadriatikafx0.jpg

The marking are squadron markings, below are some profile markings from the book USAAF Heavy bomber B-24 group marking and camoflauge 1941-45 volume one. From what I read some squadrons placed marking's on both rudders and the tail.

Attachments

• B-24.JPG
    B-24.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 234
  • B-24A.JPG
    B-24A.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 216
Thanks Micdrow, I was beginning to think our guys "borrowed" some spare parts from the Brits!

:D

Thank you very much! Great information! :notworthy:

Your welcome Theodor, Its a nice find on the pictures though, I dont think to many of these photos that have survived or at least turned up. Considering they are on top unless its a in-flight photo or like your top one I dont think there are too many pictures. Could be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back