F-104 with arrestor hook????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arsenal VG-33

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
I was going through some boxes which contained some of my childhood/teen years things, and I found my old little Modern Fighter Aircraft book from the mid-1980s. All profile drawings of military aircraft of the day. I came across the F-104 Starfighter, and noticed that an arrestor hook was visible under the fuselage, between the wing and the exhaust. The F-104 was not aircraft carrier capable, was it? Was it for short landings or emergency purposes?

Last edited:
Actualy, look:

F-104_FG-6695_69_med.jpg

look up Rotary Hydraulic Arrestor Gear. (RHAG) most military airfields have them fitted in case of drag chute or hydraulics failure

There's also chains layed across the over runs at many military airfields for this purpose.

Yep, I remember several cables strung across the runway at Lakenheath for emergency landings. There were also heavy chains at the very ends for the last gasp. With F-111s, they got quite a bit of use because the 'Varks didn't have reverse thrust, just brakes. When they had hot brakes (not uncommon after long runups), they wouldn't slow down enough and cables were needed. It looked really cool at night as the hook dragged the pavement, sending out sparks.

The -104 was never meant to be carrier capable. It was used for landing at airfields that were of questionable length. While the brakes of the -104 were good, they still could not hold back the aircraft at full thrust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back