F-117A, U-2 and Half of the B-52 Fleet Many Go Away

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the F117 is being eliminated because the USAF has a replacment up its sleeve (stored at area 51 of course).

It will be a shame to see the B52 be reduced.

syscom3 said:
I think the F117 is being eliminated because the USAF has a replacment up its sleeve (stored at area 51 of course).

It will be a shame to see the B52 be reduced.

The 117 replacement? The F-35....

No, something more exotic. Maybe even powered by technology that was reverse engineered from the aliens they have stored there.

syscom3 said:
No, something more exotic. Maybe even powered by technology that was reverse engineered from the aliens they have stored there.
There's nothing at "Area 51" tha't replacing the F-117A. Lockheed is working on some UAVs but believe me, everything is from planet earth.

The USAF F-35 will replace the -117.

FLYBOYJ, as I understand F-35 is basically a fighter with STOL capability while F-117 is Fighter/Bomber .How could it be F-117s replacement?
The F-35 is designed to replace aging fighter inventories including U.S. Air Force A-10s and F-16s, U.S. Navy F-14s and F/A-18s, U.S. Marine Corps AV-8B Harriers and F/A-18s, and U.K. Harrier GR.7s and Sea Harriers.
Some article from internet.

marconi said:
FLYBOYJ, as I understand F-35 is basically a fighter with STOL capability while F-117 is Fighter/Bomber .How could it be F-117s replacement?
The F-35 is designed to replace aging fighter inventories including U.S. Air Force A-10s and F-16s, U.S. Navy F-14s and F/A-18s, U.S. Marine Corps AV-8B Harriers and F/A-18s, and U.K. Harrier GR.7s and Sea Harriers.
Some article from internet.

Simple - the F-35 gets its V/STOL capability from the engine driven "Lift Fan" that Lockheed developed. The USAF versions will not have the lift fan installed..

"F-35 Variants
US Air Force
The Air Force expects that to purchase 1763 F-35s to complement the F-22 Raptor and replace the F-16 as an air-toground strike aircraft. The Air Force variant includes an internal gun, infrared sensors, and laser designator. This is the technologically simplest version of the JSF, in that it does not require hover or aircraft carrier capability. Therefore it does not require the vertical thrust or the handling qualities for catapult launches, augmented control authority at landing approach speeds and strengthened structure to handle arrested landings. At the same time, the Air Force F-35 will have to improve upon the high standards created by the F-16. Since replacement of the F-16 by the F-35 will entail a significant payload reduction, the F-35 faces a very demanding one shot one kill requirement.

US Navy
The requirement for carrier operations creates the largest differences between the Air Force and Navy version. The naval version has larger wing and tail control surfaces to enable low-speed approaches to aircraft carriers. Leadingedge flaps and foldable wing tip sections account for this increased wing area. The larger wing area also provides the Navy version with an increased payload capability. To support the stresses of carrier landings and catapult launches, the internal structure of this version is strengthened. In addition, the landing gear has longer stroke and higher load capacity, and of course an arresting hook is added. Compared to the F-18C, the F-35 has twice the range on internal fuel.. The design is also optimized for survivability, which is a key Navy requirement. Like the USAF version, the Navy version will incorporate an internal gun and sensors. This new fighter will be used by the Navy as a first-day-of-war attack fighter in conjunction with the F/A-18 Hornet. The Navy plans to purchase 480 JSF.

US Marine Corps
The distinguishing feature of the USMC version of the JSF is its short takeoff/vertical landing capability (STOVL). There will not be an internally mounted machine gun, but an external gun can be fitted. This version requires controllability on all axes while hovering. Another critical design feature is its impact on the ground surface beneath it during hover. The USMC expects their version of the JSF will replace the F/A-18 Hornet and the AV-8 Harrier. The Marine Corps expects to purchase 480 STOVL versions of the F-35."

syscom3 said:
How would you know whats going on there? Lots of "black" stuff going on.

I worked for them for 10 1/2 years - almost 1.5 years in and out of the Skunk Works - I still have connections... 8)

FLYBOYJ, thanks for information but I wanted to know whether F-35 can replace F-117. Does F-35 have same stealth characteristics as F-117?Can it use weapons similar to those that F-117 can use?In operation Desert Storm F-117 was used to destroy most difficult targets in areas with tight air defence system.And I thought that F-35 is just a cheaper alternative for F-22.

marconi said:
FLYBOYJ, thanks for information but I wanted to know whether F-35 can replace F-117.
And the F-16!
marconi said:
Does F-35 have same stealth characteristics as F-117?
Even Better!
marconi said:
Can it use weapons similar to those that F-117 can use?
What you're going to see is a stealth aircraft with the bombing capability of the F-117A, and the air-to-air combat ability of the F-16. The F-35 might even be as good as the F-22 from what I've been told.

marconi said:
In operation Desert Storm F-117 was used to destroy most difficult targets in areas with tight air defence system.And I thought that F-35 is just a cheaper alternative for F-22.
Far from it! Lockheed-Martin pulled all stops to secure this contract. Although its smaller than the F-22, the F-35 is a whole new animal. Better assembly methods, materials, avionics, etc. My best friend designed the electrical system on this aircraft and he has told me "you've just seen the surface" when the X-35 flew, by the way I was there for the X-35 first flight and first hover flight.

Unless Lockheed-Martin screws up during manufacturing or some kind of major flaw emerges, the F-35 will the benchmark of combat aircraft. There is always much discussion comparing the F-22 to the Eurofighter, in my opinion the F-35 is going to better than both of them!!!

I see the UAV's becoming more and more sophisticted. The days of manned aircraft doing the mundane or really dangerous stuff will eventually be over.

Radar and AA defense supression might be performed by hordes of "throw away" drones that would destroy their target by simplying diving on them, kamikazi style.

If you want a B52 replacement for just carrying a bunch of PGM's, all of which are semi autonomous, all you need a simple inexpensive transport to orbit the battlefield and drop them as needed. That can even be done automatically.

Will F-35 carry its weapons in internal section like F-117 and F-22 do?
ALso have you heard anything about its competitor X-32 in JSF programm?Was it a good plane and why did it lost to F-35?

syscom3 said:
I see the UAV's becoming more and more sophisticted. The days of manned aircraft doing the mundane or really dangerous stuff will eventually be over.

Radar and AA defense supression might be performed by hordes of "throw away" drones that would destroy their target by simplying diving on them, kamikazi style.
I agree to a point - I think the manned fighter will be around for a little longer, I've seen concepts where a fighter may have several armed UAVs at his disposal during combat
syscom3 said:
If you want a B52 replacement for just carrying a bunch of PGM's, all of which are semi autonomous, all you need a simple inexpensive transport to orbit the battlefield and drop them as needed. That can even be done automatically.

That's been thought of in the late 80s using a 747

marconi said:
Will F-35 carry its weapons in internal section like F-117 and F-22 do?
ALso have you heard anything about its competitor X-32 in JSF programm?Was it a good plane and why did it lost to F-35?

The F-35 will carry weapons internally..

As far as the X-32 :lol: It was a Pig!!! Although it flew first, it was crude and no where as advanced as the X-35, the Lockheed guys I knew who worked on the X-35 used to call it "The Happy Guppy." Hover testes were done at Patuxet River NAS because the X-32 could barely get off the ground at the Boeing plant in Palmdale Ca. (Palmdale is about 2500 feet about sea level). Even during the hover tests the X-32 had its landing gear doors removed to improve performance. It was a pig and in my opinion one of the ugliest aircraft ever built. I would scrap it, it isn't worth the floor space in a museum!

boeing_x-32B.jpg

x-32-c12-27786-4.jpg

x-32-c12-27790-56.jpg

I agree with FBJ on the F-35. It is a better aircraft, can do what the F-117 can and more.

As for the B-52 I hate to see it go, but if you look at the technology we have today, there is no longer really a need for the BUFF!

I was surprised to see the -117 getting some cuts, compared to other aircraft it's term has been very short. Same with the B-1. Those two made such a fuss with all their technology and shnazz and are already outdated. What will the B-1 be replaced with? There's nothing that can carry that much that fast. Make way for more versatile craft though, can't argue with that.

Also, I wonder what would happen if we were to take on a country that actually has an air force after the -22s and -35s are in service. Slaughter is all I can think of...

It's bullshit. They're not going to get rid of 'em ... this is just like how they got rid of the A-10s before the Gulf war. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back