F-117A, U-2 and Half of the B-52 Fleet Many Go Away (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They are not going to get rid of them, but they will downsize the force. There are aircraft coming out with technology that is greater and better. You have to remember that the B-1 and the F-117 are using 1970's techonology. The F-117 program started in the late 1970's.

And the A-10 is even older than that. The F-15 has been updated to modern technology, and they will do the exact same with the F-117 and B-1.

Of course, but if 1970's technology is the best we have for an important role and we have nothing to replace it...

The basic airframe maybe 1970s technology, but the avionics and internal equipment can be updated. It's been done with the F-15C - and could be done with the F-117 and B-1.

I think you're going to find that the F-35 in its non-VSTOL strike version could easily replace the F-117, and unlike the F-117 it will have an air-to-air capability.

But the F-22 could fully replace the F-15, but it isn't going to happen. We all know that the U.S government aren't complete idiots, there'll be many in stockpiles ready for combat in a moments notice. After all, the F-117, F-15 and B-1 are all combat capable planes and even though they are 1970s technology - the only things truly superior are the Untied States' own equipment.

The F-22 could easily replace the F-15 if they would build sufficient numbers. It also is not that we do not have anything to replace these aircraft, it is more the question of why at the moment because they are all still very capable.

Ive always suspected that one reason the F22 hasnt been been built as quickly is the Secretary of Defense and a few important congressman and senators want to see what the future threats are, before they commit billions and billions of dollars to these aircraft.

Even though the avionics can be kept up to date, the airframe is still late 80's early 90's technology. I wouldnt be surprised if we have something up our sleeves at area 51 that just needs refinement to be put into production.

I don't see a problem with an old airframe or, more precisely, an old airframe design as long as the internal workings are kept up to date. I've said it before, and I know it's like I'm just repeating myself but the English Electric Lightning airframe does still have potential as a fighter to this day. A lighter structure and superior engines would make that aircraft a formidable air superiority fighter to this day. I state this merely to show the point that airframe is not the problem of the aircraft being out-dated, the internal workings and electronics are.

I think you'll see a slow phase out of the F-15. The Airforce and congress keep messing with the actual numbers to be built and I could tell you that the prigram got off to a rough start. A 12 year development period!!! That was rediculous!

Look at the JSF. the first ones will be flying in a few years, Lockheed better managed the program, former General Dynamics For Worth people have been placed into key positions in the company and have really cracked the whip, some for the good, others not so good....

syscom3 said:
I wouldnt be surprised if we have something up our sleeves at area 51 that just needs refinement to be put into production.

UAV technology - but for the most part not much is going on there - I know!!!

syscom3 said:
If you did know, you wouldnt be able to talk about it would you. Plus you arent privy to everything going on there.

8)

And if I were and told you, I would have to kill you! :evil4:

syscom3 said:
The extreme security is what makes me wonder.

Actually there are many other bases around the country much tighter - area 51 just gets all the attention.

evangilder said:
Agreed, Joe.

***Having actually met Joe, he can say that there is nothing there because he is actually an alien plant that is put here to deny everything. Ganarg, mrazek, Joe.

;)

naanoo-naanoo ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back