F-35 Lightning II completes first flight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My rumor contact at Lockheed told me they intended to suck the gear in on the F-35 first flight but becuase of a problem not relating to the aircraft, they decided not to.

My rumor contact at Lockheed told me they intended to suck the gear in on the F-35 first flight but becuase of a problem not relating to the aircraft, they decided not to.

Seconded, My understanding is that it was to do with an air data recorder specially fitted for the test flight that went wrong. Nothing to do with the standard aircraft.

No doubt everyone will be glad to know that the second flight went exactly as planned with no problems at all.

Also in joint service exercises in Alaska last summer, F22's have scored 144 kills against no losses including a gun kill against an F16, which wasn't planned but the pilot had run out of missiles and decided to have some fun.

Sounds as if the US are getting the right planes for the job.

it'll be interesting to see the F-22 against the F-35, have the Americans just wasted money on the F-22 perhaps?

And settle for second best? Blasphemy. :)

Estimated costs for each with comparison to F-16

$30M F-16
$50M F-35
$58M Typhoon

Now all we need is an adversary worthy of the F-22 or F-35.

I'm sure it's too technologically sensitive to export for the next decade but I'd like to see China's reaction if Taiwan were allowed to purchased a handful.

The only think the Typhoon really lacks in is the stealth capability.

Typhoon is a great aircraft but the F-22 is still going to be the best in the air.

Their is little doubt that its F22 before the Typhoon but when you consider how few F22's are likely to be built, the F35 vs Typhoon is likely to be the important matchup.
In a BVR scenario the F22 will I believe be unmatched for quite a time, the question is though, how often do the rules of engagement allow BVR. I do not know but I would be suprised if this was common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back