F4F with inboard underwing bombs?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hoggardhigh

Airman 1st Class
Jan 6, 2014
United States
It is known that later F4F variants, such as the F4F-4 and FM-2, could carry two 58-gallon drop tanks on inboard wing pylons.

It also appears that, at least in principle, bombs could be carried on those pylons as well. Does anyone know if this was ever done in practice?

Thanks

I find the -3 fitted for bombs as well

upload_2018-5-5_4-45-12.png
upload_2018-5-5_4-46-13.png
upload_2018-5-5_4-47-56.png

I have found one photo of a Wildcat, a -4 carrying bombs but they were on the outer-wing section.,

I read one account that described Wildcats flying from Guadalcanal in which the pilot said that the drop tanks had manual fuel pumps. You had to fly along pumping the fuel from the tanks by hand.

Normally in WWII the drop tanks were pressurized by the air pressure from the engine driven vacuum pump that ran the instruments, but of course that required additional plumbing be installed.

Bombs were used by the Wildcats defending Wake Island.

British FM-1 Wildcats (Martlet V) were used in Operation Dragoon, the invasion of the south of France. Pictures show what appear to be bomb racks in the inner wing area on the Martlet V.

The British did test F4F-4B (Martlet IV with R-1920 engine) with rockets mounted under the outer wings.

I do have a cutaway drawing for the F4F-4 showing optional outer wing bomb racks for "fragmentation bombs."

A picture in the book "Wings of the Navy" by Capt Brown shows a British Martlet V (FM-1) with what sure look like bomb racks on the inboard pylons.. I'll try and scan it for you.

Remember that VMF-211 sank a Japanese destroyer off Wake Island in December 1941. Wildcats scored fatal hits that detonated Kisaragi's depth charges. I knew the maintenance officer, BGEN John Kinney, and wish I'd thought to ask about the ordnance...

My former squad boss was a F4F driver off the carrier USS Salamaua but for a time they were stationed at Guam. Here is what he said about the speed of that plane. "When I was based on Guam we used to try to make a couple of dummy passes on these babies(B-29s) in our Wildcats but due to their speed we could only make one and they were gone !" This quote was w/his e-mail forwarding a video of the B-29s bombing missions on the Japan mainland.

View: http://www.archive.org/details/TheLastBomb1945

Sometimes it gets interesting . . . VF-3 F4F-3s operating off Lexington in the Lae/Salamaua raid in March 1942 carried 100 lb bombs, but the F4F-3s from VF-42 off Yorktown not only did not carry bombs, but had their racks removed . . . just another of those things the operators convinced Capt Buckmaster was a good idea.

Those belly windows one sees in F4Fs was part and parcel of the concept of using them in a minor bombing capacity left over from bi-plane era. The pilot could pass over the target and, looking down through the windows, judge the right moment to roll over & execute his attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back