F4U F6F P-38 P-47 or P-51 Which plane was best by war's end (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sal Monella

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2005
Redwood City
By the end of WWII, which American fighter had progressed into the best fighter to fighter combat plane? Put differently, which version or model of these American fighters had evolved into the very best fighter to fighter plane.

Since disagreements always seem to arise over which versions or models to include, note the following:

As long as the version or model was operational and actually saw combat, meaning actually fought in air to air engagements, it is fair game.

F4U-
F6F-
P-38-
P-47-
P-51-

Did the F4U-4 see actual combat? I say Corsair if she did. Otherwose the P-47-n.

Jank said:
Did the F4U-4 see actual combat? I say Corsair if she did. Otherwose the P-47-n.

Yes the F4U-4 did see fairly extended service from about April '45.
So is the P-38L in the running. I think all 3 were capable, depending on Pilot skills to determine a winner.

I'll go with the F4U...I also like the P-51, but feel the F4U was also an exceptional all-rounder, and hardier, and we flew 'em too......

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._104.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._104.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,351
I think the title goes to the F4U-4. 8)

Wildcat, I like the picture, was the Boomerang flying full throttle? :lol:

FLYBOYJ said:
I think the title goes to the F4U-4. 8)

Wildcat, I like the picture, was the Boomerang flying full throttle to keep up? :lol:

In overall performance and maneuverability the title goes to the F4U, however in "looks" the P-51D trashes the Corsair ! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back