F7F Tigercat identification (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

okidonn

Airman
Apr 30, 2010
I believe that these are F7F-2N Tigercats but would like some help with verifying that. Also is there someplace that has information on tail number identification such as the tail numbers shown in the photo. The photo is late 1945 to early 46.
Thanks

aaa178.gif

I see camera panels so it would make them F7F-3P Tigercat

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 145
Thanks, based on the statement below that I found on the internet the -3Ps make sense because the photo is titled "Flight Line, Kiangwan Field, Shanghai (China). These were part of a group of photos showing construction of Yonabaru Field (Naval Air Station) on Okinawa.

Similarly, a Marine photo squadron started training in March 1945, also reaching Okinawa by V-J Day. During the rest of 1945, production continued at a lower rate toward a planned total of 400 F7Fs, and Marine Tigercatsquadrons were cut back. Two squadrons operated in China -- Marine Photographic Squadron 254 on coast photo mapping with -3Ps, and VMF(N)-533 with -3Ns replacing -2Ns.

Now that I know what to look for I checked my other photos and you can easily see the camera panels and the camera's themselves. Since the photos were quite high quality and had titles on each of them I suspect that the photos were taken and printed by the Photographic Squadron. Thanks

aaa179.gif

aaa183.gif

The one in the rear has the tail and rudder of a -1.
Ed

Now that I look at the photo closer the tails do look different. I did some internet searching and did find a reference to the change of tail design.

"To expedite production of the different -3 models, all were built single-place with some variations to accommodate the changes for the intended final model. The Ps and Ns were accepted at Grumman and ferried to the Navy Lockheed Service Center in Van Nuys, Calif., where they were completed for final delivery to operating units. A larger vertical fin was tested and finally incorporated in production, as well as backfitted in earlier -3 models. "

So it looks like perhaps one of the -3P's did not get the tail modification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back