F8F Bearcat radio equipment

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I'm looking for a list/pictures of F8F-1 Bearcat radio/nav equipment. I know that they had ARC-5 radio, APN-1 navigation, APX-1 IFF, Did it have anything else? Anybody have pictures of installed F8F Avionics equipment. I found several radio equipment boxes at a F8F creash site that I'm trying to ID.
thanks in advance
DaveT

I have the flight manual, thanks. It does not have any good pictures of the radio quiepment and how/where it was installed as far as the receivers, transmitters. The flight manual did have the control boxes, but I'm not looking for those.
DaveT

through research and close examination of photos of the equipment I found at a crash site I was able to ID the F8F-1 equipment installed in 1952 as
RT-18/ARC-1 VHF transmitter-receiver
R-23A Receiver
R-4A/ARR-2A homing receiver
Still looking for photos of this equipment installed in a F8F bearcat

Attachments

• Radio Receiver Front.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 202
  • ARC-1 dial front.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Avionics Nav box front.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 119
If you want pictures of just the radios we can get you those, but not installation pictures in a Bearcat.

The top picture is that of an R-23, the LF receiver. It has the late mod with the additional antenna connections.

The middle photo looks like one of the dials from an ARC-1.

The bottom one I don't know.

If you want to see what an ARR-2 looks like I can take a photo of the one I have.

Users who are viewing this thread