FAA Allowing Companies To Start Claiming Territory On The Moon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jtm55

Airman
Jun 20, 2009
Hi All

I hope I'm not breaking protocol or any rules in posting this. According to Reuters (Exclusive - The FAA: regulating business on the moon | Reuters) The Faa is allowing companies to start claiming territory on the moon.

I know we got there first all but I gotta wonder what the rest of the world thinks about this. I'm talking about the ones who aren't members of th UN space treaty.

the proving run to get the route is going to be expensive!!! they make airlines fly a route with an empty plane ( maybe some high muckety mucks on board ) before they give them the OK to fly full fare passenger routes....i would bet that branson already put his name in the hat...lol

"The Federal Aviation Administration, in a previously undisclosed late-December letter to Bigelow Aerospace, said the agency intends to "leverage the FAA's existing launch licensing authority to encourage private sector investments in space systems by ensuring that commercial activities can be conducted on a non-interference basis."
In other words, experts said, Bigelow could set up one of its proposed inflatable habitats on the moon, and expect to have exclusive rights to that territory - as well as related areas that might be tapped for mining, exploration and other activities."

This is being twisted. The FAA doesn't have the authority on who can claim what on the moon, they do have the authority to regulate and also encourage development of launch vehicles.

Hi All

So if i'm understanding this you're saying all the FAA is in effect doing is giving Bigelow Aerospace companies like them permission to launch their Habitats to the moon?

The FAA is doing this in an attempt to set up regulations of where and when outfits can land. The UN treaty of 1967 is still in effect, but this move by the FAA is an early step to regulate traffic, in a sense and to prevent landings or intrusion into areas like scientific sensative regions and the early lunar landing sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back