Favorite aircraft paint or camo scheme, or lack thereof (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
What is your favorite aircraft paint or camo scheme - or maybe you prefer your planes naked?

I like the F4U blue and the P-51 naked.
P-47 looks good naked too.

Some of the German camo schemes are pretty cool.

Always a shame to me that the brit aicraft in the main had such dowdy colour schemes, bombers were black and fighters earth and green. I always liked the 109 on the Airfix box yellow nose and light blue on the sides.

But yes the spit in PRU blue was nice.....dunno about that pink they used though

Last edited:
Mm, I'm a fan of flectarn(s) when it comes to clothing, otherwise for aerial camoes, RAF mid-war fighter A (or B), IJN dappled/splotched green and some of the RLM latewar dappled splinter designs too. Now if you could get an A/C in flectarn....:oops:

Blue Angels.
Ed

Attachments

• aircraft_18.jpg
    aircraft_18.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Having to choose a favourite...that's a tough 'un. I mean do you go for stripes?

fw-190d-9-dora-jpv-10.gif

or patches?

HawkerTempestVcolour2.gif

D520C-10731.gif

163276_001.gif

163269-conflict-1024933409.gif

Grays with some bling?

91-0362_003.gif

If pushed, one of my favourites is the black scheme of the P-47Ms of the 61st FS, 56th FG:

hv-j_zps8026cb7b.gif

p-47M2_zps98829ba0.gif

Why do modern jets even have camo? On the ground they are in well known airbases in the air they are seen on radar long before the eye can find them? is it psychology or am I missing something?

I'll have to go with JAAF green splotches over bare metal finish.

I have always liked the USN North Atlantic scheme

3_14.jpg

Why do modern jets even have camo? On the ground they are in well known airbases in the air they are seen on radar long before the eye can find them? is it psychology or am I missing something?

Well it employs a few maintainers to help keep the check and inspect surfaces of aircraft more closely, also helps prevent corrosion/rusting and could lower some radar returns, also because pilots have too much bravado, paperwork and not always the technical skills to do it as well; except when the proverbial fan is flinging tons of poop around.

Although nowerdays, unless they're low level 'intruding' camo, then if it isn't in strong or bright contrasting colours, even a few seconds of Mk1 eyeball mis-information can aid evasion or counter-attack - radar and missiles though better and advancing, doesn't always work 100% for 100% time of 100% sorties/flights for 100% of service life in 100% of any and all situations.

Neither too the pilot, but the more things working close to their respective 100%'s, means any slight aid, loss or problem could have a greater effect than itself, especially since most fighter and/or interceptor aircraft only have a radar in the nose.

Last edited:
When asked why the aircraft were now grey instead of the flamboyant color schemes of the 60-70's, and Admiral/General said, "Better a boring aircraft than missing aircraft".

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back