Favorite aircraft paint or camo scheme, or lack thereof

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When asked why the aircraft were now grey instead of the flamboyant color schemes of the 60-70's, and Admiral/General said, "Better a boring aircraft than missing aircraft".

Geo

Not really a favourite as I like unusual WW2 schemes but I do like this Indian scheme.

indianheli1_zps0b2d4215.gif

And it works!

indianheli21_zpsed9db649.gif

Cheers

Steve

I like the US Navy dark glossy blue scheme used from about 1945 until 1955 (or so).

One part that confuses me is that the I have seen photos of aircraft in this scheme where the aircraft base color is as dark as the surround on the national insignia (to the point of them being the same tone), and others where the base color of the aircraft is lighter than the insignia surround. Was there that much variation to the blue used, or am I seeing some other effect???

Serious question guys....many of the military colour schemes make them more visible rather than less, what is the thinking behind it?

I'm a big fan of the allied New Guinea theatre markings of white tail white leading edge :cool:

Attachments

• 800px-Curtiss_P-40N.jpg
    800px-Curtiss_P-40N.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 124
  • 5sqnRAAF.jpg
    5sqnRAAF.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 94
Serious question guys....many of the military colour schemes make them more visible rather than less, what is the thinking behind it?

Some of that would be to enable easier visual identification usually by anti-aircraft artillery defending ground troops etc. This is because very often ground forces would typically fire at any low enough aircraft if they could not be sure it wasn't one of their own.
Even then some gun crews and troops who had been stressed by attacking aircraft previously and the few trigger happy ones would shoot their own out of plane-shock/fear.

That is why things like the higher visibility designs were used in some areas, for example; the IJA IJN usually had long (upto 1/2 to 2/3's wing span) yellow wing leading edges, the RAF too used similar 'thinner' yellow strips, Luftwaffe had typically yellow (mainland Europe) or white (for the Med' Africa) 'theater of operation' and also as AAA ident' wing tips tail bands with full or under nose/engine panels, and also the allied 'Invasion Stripes' too were for aero ground forces ident' to aid in visual recognition between friendly and enemy A/C.

Last edited:
Some of that would be to enable easier visual identification usually by anti-aircraft artillery defending ground troops etc. This is because very often ground forces would typically fire at any low enough aircraft if they could not be sure it wasn't one of their own.
Even then some gun crews and troops who had been stressed by attacking aircraft previously and the few trigger happy ones would shoot their own out of plane-shock/fear.

That is why things like the higher visibility designs were used in some areas, for example; the IJA IJN usually had long (upto 1/2 to 2/3's wing span) yellow wing leading edges, the RAF too used similar 'thinner' yellow strips, Luftwaffe had typically yellow (mainland Europe) or white (for the Med' Africa) 'theater of operation' and also as AAA ident' wing tips tail bands with full or under nose/engine panels, and also the allied 'Invasion Stripes' too were for aero ground forces ident' to aid in visual recognition between friendly and enemy A/C.
Thanks, I think the D Day stripes started on the Typhoon because it looked similar to a Fw 190 from some angles. But by D Day there was so much striped paint I cant see why the little that was left was camo paint.

Thanks, I think the D Day stripes started on the Typhoon because it looked similar to a Fw 190 from some angles. But by D Day there was so much striped paint I cant see why the little that was left was camo paint.

The striped markings on the Typhoon were introduced in an effort to easily distinguish them from the Fw 190. There were instances of Typhoons being attacked by friendly aircraft, one case in which Canadian Spitfires shot a couple down springs to mind.

The 'special markings' for Overlord, also known as invasion stripes or D-Day stripes, are not the same size or configuration.

Despite the special markings many allied airmen were apprehensive about flying over the invasion fleet. RN gunners in particular had earned a reputation for shooting at anything that flew, even their own FAA aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

The striped markings on the Typhoon were introduced in an effort to easily distinguish them from the Fw 190. There were instances of Typhoons being attacked by friendly aircraft, one case in which Canadian Spitfires shot a couple down springs to mind.

The 'special markings' for Overlord, also known as invasion stripes or D-Day stripes, are not the same size or configuration.

Despite the special markings many allied airmen were apprehensive about flying over the invasion fleet. RN gunners in particular had earned a reputation for shooting at anything that flew, even their own FAA aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

My Uncle was on an armed Liberty ship during DDay he was in the ROC and his sole job was to identify friend or foe to the American Gunners who were new to Europe. He saw 2 minutes action in 2 weeks but got a commendation from the ships captain. "That two minutes justified to myself and my crew all his training and his presence on my ship". I believe that later they tried to use P38s near the fleet and keep the SE fighters away.

For WWI, definately the individual schemes and default lozenge patters of the Germans and occasional Austrian aircraft.

For WWII, the Italian Africa camo was superb followed closely by the Luftwaffe's Afrika camo. I also liked the Nachtjager "mottled" camo schemes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back