Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Mitsubuishi Ki 15 Babs

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Mitsubishi Ki 30 Ann

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I voted for the Mitsubuishi Ki 15 Babs, because I never heard of it before, so it must definitely be a backwater bomber!

Though I think the Devastator and Vultee Vengeance deserve awards as well!

I like the hudson, it gave long service around the world, i think most countries where still using it at the end of the war.

Vultee Vengeance!! For an aircraft that performed so well over the jungles of New Guinea and Burma with precision attacks in direct support of allied troops, it always amazes me that it remains so obscure. It did its job with no glamour or glory and it did it well.

A good backwater bomber if there ever was one. It is probably my second choice.

TBD did yeoman duty both as torpedo and horizontal bomber in early raids on islands and at Coral Sea. The sacrifises of the Devastators at Midway allowed the SBDs to do their job.

The main reason I did not include the TBD was because I was unaware of it being used in backwater areas. The only instances I am aware of it being used are at Wake, the Coral Sea, and Midway, which were big, important, well-documented battles including the main thrusts of the opposing navies at the time - hardly backwater events. Perhaps it was used elsewhere-- I'm not sure, but my backwater aircraft are ones that were used extensively in forgotten or "sideline" theaters. Some, like Blenheim, may also have seen some action in mainline theaters and battles, but the Blenheim's extensive boonies use, especially in places like the CBI, Finland, and all up and down the Mediterranean, include it on the list.

Martin Maryland

I have books on every type I like, most multiple volumes. Stll waiting for a good one in English on the type

Good poll! I voted for the Hudson also including it's close relative the Ventura. They served from the beginning to the end in many theatres.

I will vote for the Hudson and his brother the Ventura. But equally important was the Blenheim line even if obsolete, was there for a long period in many theaters and filed the gap.

I voted for the Hudson/Ventura. As well as 'backwater' service, these types served with RAF Commonwealth squadrons in Europe, taking part in some key raids on vital industrial and military targets. The RNZAF were a sucessful user of the type in the ETO - have a look at the history of 487 Squadron as an example.

I'm not sure where the great support for the Blenheim comes from :scratch: True, it served in many roles, but it wasn't much cop in any of them. It suffered heavily as a bomber, especially by 1941 - the casualties on RAF anti-shipping sweeps were simply appaling, flak and fighters carving the Blenheims up. It was awful as a day fighter during the BoB and indifferent as a nightfighter in the same period. So where exactly was it sucessful :?:

I think need add SM 79 to challengers was used in east africa and iraq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back