Favorite paint

What is your favorite brand of paint

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I try to use acrylics when i can. I use mainly MM. I have just bought some Gunze Sangyo H range paints. They are supposed to be the best for really fine spray work (like Luft. mottling).

As far as the MM paint lids, i always use a q-tip to clean off the top of the rim and then the interior of the cap (where the top of the paint jar sits).

I use Humbrol enamels, I've never had an issue with them although its only recently i've dived into the technical painting side of things like shading, weathering etc. I used to paint, airbrush and do a bit of drybrushing so these other techniques are fairly new to me!
Modelling is something I do in the winter months so for most of the year they are packed away. I have not heard about the "demise" of Humbrol, can anyone fill me in on this. If the company disappears or their paints become unusable I will have to look for an alternative brand of enamel to switch to!!
Humbrol (Humber Oil Company) at Marfleet, Hull, ceased to exist as a company around 8(?) years ago now, after the change of ownership of Airfix/Heller.
Large stocks of paint still existed, up to about four years ago, after the take over by Hornby Hobbies.
However, the factory was closed, and lay derelict, eventually damaged by fire and then I believe demolished.
I have no idea where the paint is made now, but obviously it is not Humbrol as we knew it, being manufactured elsewhere, with just the brand name retained by Hornby.
Countries outside the UK would more than likely not notice any change for some time, until the newer paint rotated out the existing old stocks in a particular country, and, of course, if a user hadn't renewed a particular colour for some time, then it might take longer for the new stuff to be bought and used.
As stated in my previous posts, and a thread on the subject, having used Humbrol for over 50 years, when it was without doubt the best modelling paint in the World, bar none, I now find it very poor quality overall, and inconsistent in this quality, as well as very inconsistent in colour hue and shade, as well as finish (matt drying patchy gloss for example), with drying problems too - for example, taking 24 hours to be nearly dry, drying with a rubbery finish.
Added to this is the consistency of the paint in the tin - some like water, some like gum - and taking a very long time to stir, and then still being virtually unusable. Plus 'going off' and hardening in the tin very quickly, with tins deforming easily etc etc.
I have some Humbrol paints which are 30 years old, and they still work well, and are far, far superior to the current rubbish.
I am now trying other enamel paints, with Xtracolor being one brand (excellent paint I've used in the past, but I have to get it mail order/on-line, with a minimum quantity), and about to try Model Master, again with the inconvenience of ordering on-line.

I'd pick the option not posted, as I haven't used the others except for a few Tamiyas - their metalics are fine too, but they seem to smell 140% proof.

Citadel Paints, (plus) Citadel Inks and Washes (like glazes) all work as/with acrylics.. but they can be pricier in a box sometimes - if there's a Games Workshop nearby, it's perhaps better to buy individual sometimes as the boxed sets sometimes only contain less than 10 paints and washes. But the paints can be intermixed with each other; the washes and inks/glazes are probably best not being mixed since they're usually for details and shadings pre-drybrushing highlighting.

I have used a model paint called Metalcote once (enamel type I think), although you had to buff it up to the required shine effect once dry - good for model GPbike engines and expansion exhausts if I remember...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back