Favorite paint

What is your favorite brand of paint

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not gonna vote as in the last 5 years I've jumped between Polyscale, Modelmaster, and now Tamiya. I like the MM but hate their bottles. Polyscale similar and had spray issues with it. I like Tamiya so far. Sprays the best of all I tries so far and the bottles are well designed to stop air intrusion. Don't like that I need to mix them though but once I have the formulas down, this won't be an issue.

I wish more people would vote. I know that all these "views" have a paint that they favor. I've just gotten back into the hobby after 15 years or so and would like to know what you all are using.
Thanks guys.

Can't see how to edit the post. But, thanks for posting. I didn't know WEM had paint, so I learned something.

I have been using Humbrol enamels for years. However I slowly switch to ModelMaster ones. Of course it is because of problems with the tinge of Humbrol colours. Also I use Pactra acrylic paints.

Well, I don't like acrylics much, as they don't have the versatility of enamels, although I liked the Vallejo paint, when thinned and sprayed.
Some of the paints listed in your poll are far from common in the UK, and some of them are also what I term 'Micky Mouse'.
Like Wojtek, I've used Humbrol enamel for over 50 years now, and until the demise of Humbrol as a company, it was the best model paint in the World, bar none. Now, however, it's about as useful, or reliable, as a chocolate tea pot, so I'm slowly converting to Xtracolor enamels, which I've used in the past, and also about to try some Model Master, although paint in bottles never seems right to me - it should be in a well sealed tin, where air or light can't affect it, and if the lids are a problem, then I'm not keen on that idea!
My problem is, I can only get Humbrol locally, when needed in a rush (unless I use Micky Mouse acrylics), so any others I have to order on-line, with the extra shipping costs, and the hassle of not being able to see the actual paint shade.

Well, I don't like acrylics much, as they don't have the versatility of enamels, although I liked the Vallejo paint, when thinned and sprayed.
Some of the paints listed in your poll are far from common in the UK, and some of them are also what I term 'Micky Mouse'.
Like Wojtek, I've used Humbrol enamel for over 50 years now, and until the demise of Humbrol as a company, it was the best model paint in the World, bar none. Now, however, it's about as useful, or reliable, as a chocolate tea pot, so I'm slowly converting to Xtracolor enamels, which I've used in the past, and also about to try some Model Master, although paint in bottles never seems right to me - it should be in a well sealed tin, where air or light can't affect it, and if the lids are a problem, then I'm not keen on that idea!
My problem is, I can only get Humbrol locally, when needed in a rush (unless I use Micky Mouse acrylics), so any others I have to order on-line, with the extra shipping costs, and the hassle of not being able to see the actual paint shade.
I can relate, but the answer to MM problems is to place a bit of cellophane up in the bottle top, and never shake yer paint, always stir.
I, personally, prefer acrylics. They are easier to mix, clean up, and drying time is cut in half.
Now, I will admit that the shade problem can be a bit of a bugger, but with some clever thinning, this has not been a problem for me.
Just sayin'

I used to use Humbrol, but got sick of those messy tins and the occasional seal issue from pressing the lid on too tight.
99% Tamiya now - all Enamels thinned with either Laqueur thinners or regular Tamiya enamel thinners.
I do have Alclad in stock although I've not used it yet .......................working on a P-47 at the moment, so will know soon enough.
Also considering trying Gunze depending on availability - they seem to have an impressive range which will save mixing colours so much.

Tamiya enamels? I didn't know they did enamels.
It's personal preference, but why buy individual tins/bottles of specific paints, when, with a decent selection of standard, basic colours, most shades and hues can be easily mixed as required, thus saving money, space and hassle, especially if the required colour is needed in relatively small volumes?
OK, I concede that some colours need to be purchased, but to buy, for example, yellow chromate, or Interior Green, or a very minor variation of, say, a grey shade seems pointless when these can be mixed, with very little effort, to suit the requirement.

I use Humbrol enamels, I've never had an issue with them although its only recently i've dived into the technical painting side of things like shading, weathering etc. I used to paint, airbrush and do a bit of drybrushing so these other techniques are fairly new to me!
Modelling is something I do in the winter months so for most of the year they are packed away. I have not heard about the "demise" of Humbrol, can anyone fill me in on this. If the company disappears or their paints become unusable I will have to look for an alternative brand of enamel to switch to!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back