favourite korean war aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, wasn't it. I skipped school in 9th grade to see it when first in shown New Orleans. I can still remember Panoramic projection from the middle of the theater. Today's I-MAX would be great.

F-80

It's less popular to later aircraft but we made such strides in jets because our first real one was so good and it also became an interceptor and a trainer.

15i_on2014_si-94-13979_live-1.jpg

It wasn't radical but it was what we needed.

Grumman F9F Panther!

"The Bridges at Toko Ri" is currently available on am***n prime streaming -- original 3:2 format, and a pristine HD print. Just watched it again. It's one of the top-ten airplane movies of all time (like Strategic Air Command, The Blue Max, Tora Tora Tora).

And I recently discovered that the ending, in real life, turned out differently. Much of the novel (and movie) was based on bits and pieces of actual events witnessed by author James Michener while "imbedded' on an aircraft carrier.

My personal favorite:

sk1-Douglas-A-1-Skyraider-960x640.jpg

In Viet Nam, the fast mover jets could stay overhead for a pass or two. But, if you got into trouble and a flight of four AD's showed up, they could orbit overhead for several hours and could drop something or shoot something on every pass. One flight of 4 could keep the bad guys heads down for a LONG time while you escaped or did whatever it was you needed to do. If you needed 4 Skyraiders, I'm assuming you needed to escape. Their best weapon was the four 20 mm cannons. Everyone was afraid of the 20s, and nobody wanted to attract the attention of 4 Skyraiders by making themselves seen.

If MiGs showed up, four AD's could scare the hell out of them or shoot them down. One alone might be a target, but not four. Four weren't scarred of ANYTHING and most opponents that saw four AD's coming for them ran or disappeared as fast as possible.

Fokker F-27 Friendship

P-3F Orion

C-130 H Hercules

KC-707

KC-747

F-4 E/F Phantom II

F-5 A/B Freedom Fighter

F-5 E/F Tiger II

F-14 Tomcat

AH-1J Cobra

205 / 206 / 212 / 214

Did I miss Anything?
Artesh, Their were no F-5s in Korea. There WERE F-5s in Viet Nam, called Skoshi Tigers. You should know about F-5s because Iran had a ton of them, probably still does. I spent a lot of time in Iran working with the IIAF on the Northrop F-5 program. Great country, good food!

I'll watch it if I can find it online -- y'all's recommendations probably aren't given lightly and I trust them.

I don't own a TV so don't have cable or streaming services.

BoTR on DVD came in today, but I have a lot of IRL stuff happening right now -- watching it will have to wait a little. I'm looking forward to it, after the praise I've read here and elsewhere.

Artesh, Their were no F-5s in Korea. There WERE F-5s in Viet Nam, called Skoshi Tigers. You should know about F-5s because Iran had a ton of them, probably still does. I spent a lot of time in Iran working with the IIAF on the Northrop F-5 program. Great country, good food!

Hi, Yes, you're right, my miscalculation! Nothing much tbh! I was not in AF or Army Aviation and they really did not say anything "positive" that I can learn about F-5 or any other Planes [or Army, in general]! just some useless garbage bullshits as part of their "Brain Washing" and "Anti Pahlavi" propaganda! I think I might have those booklets yet! or i can borrow from someone else!

but you might heard this:

ما نمی‌خواهیم که نفت را تو جیب خودمان کنیم یا بخوریم، ما می‌خواهیم نفت را بفروشیم؛ اما نمی‌خواهیم غارت بشود. ما نفتمان را می‌خواهیم بفروشیم؛ هر مملکتی بهتر خرید این نفت را، به او بدهیم و پول از او بگیریم؛ ارز بگیریم، نه آهن پاره بگیریم، نه طیاره‌ای که به درد ما نمی‌خورد بگیریم. آن را بگیریم و صرف این ملت بکنیم، این ملتی که آب ندارد.​

We do not want to put oil in our pockets or eat it, we want to sell oil; But we do not want to be looted. We want to sell our oil to any country that gives better prices; and take its money; not junk iron, nor to take planes that do not benefit us. Let's take it and spend it on this nation, this nation that has no water.

they even wanted to sell F-14's and literally "anything else"! They've cancelled so many prepaid orders by Pahlavi's and later used this as part of their "Anti American / Western" propaganda!

That mighty "Imperial" Air Force that once you've seen, nowadays is just a "Flying museum", strong on paper, but literally does not exist IRL! newest planes are +50 years old and if any plane is lost, there is no replacement for it!!!

If I remember right, Iran's air force did get a boost when the Iraqi air force was fleeing over the border into Iran during the onslaught of Allied fighters during the Gulf War.

If I remember right, Iran's air force did get a boost when the Iraqi air force was fleeing over the border into Iran during the onslaught of Allied fighters during the Gulf War.
Many of those were later transferred to Iraq or sold to other countries to support terrorists! anyway, they were not "New" and as they did not use our standard ammunition, it has no use! We had no pilots trained to fly them or Technical crew to maintain and repair them!

Many of those were later transferred to Iraq or sold to other countries to support terrorists! anyway, they were not "New" and as they did not use our standard ammunition, it has no use! We had no pilots trained to fly them or Technical crew to maintain and repair them!
Thanks for clarifying that.
I know many of the Iraqi types were newer (French, Soviet) but it's rarely mentioned what happened to the aircraft after the Iranians seized them.

Thanks for clarifying that.
I know many of the Iraqi types were newer (French, Soviet) but it's rarely mentioned what happened to the aircraft after the Iranians seized them.
Yes, They were "Newer" back in then, But in a country like Iran and after 20 or so years, They are not "New", They are flying coffins. They need Original or High Quality copy of spare parts, you can not use any type of metal and say that's ok! and so many other things!

whats your favorite korean war warbird/jet/chopper ?
-What about the aircraft that WASN'T sent to Korea, the F-47 Thunderbolt? Examining the loss rates for the Mustang would the T'bolt have done better? Methinks it would have been a much better aircraft that was left out due to internal USAF politics.

-What about the aircraft that WASN'T sent to Korea, the F-47 Thunderbolt? Examining the loss rates for the Mustang would the T'bolt have done better? Methinks it would have been a much better aircraft that was left out due to internal USAF politics.
We beat this to death several times before. The T bolt most certainly would have done well in Korea but the logistics and supply chain to support the Mustang was better. I don't think there were "politics" involved.

Something I recall overhearing one evening, when I was a youngster, while the guys were "bending their elbows", was that the Mustang was sent to Korea instead if the P-47, because the Mustang had the highest air-to-air jet-kill talley of all the Allied types.

How accurate this was as far as the USAF's decision to use the P-51 over the P-47, I don't know.
But it is an interesting thought.

Some people claim the P-47s went to reserve squadrons in the Eastern US while the P-51s went to squadrons in the Western US.

Don't know if this is true but the Republic factory was on Long Island (New York) and the NA Factory/s were in Southern Cal and Texas.

Perhaps there was something to the logistics explanation.

Some people claim the P-47s went to reserve squadrons in the Eastern US while the P-51s went to squadrons in the Western US.

Don't know if this is true but the Republic factory was on Long Island (New York) and the NA Factory/s were in Southern Cal and Texas.

Perhaps there was something to the logistics explanation.
I found this document. It seems in the 1952/53 time span there were F-47s/ F-51s on both coasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back