"Fighting 17" coming along ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chicoartist

Airman 1st Class
Hi guys,

Put the finishing touches on the background this am. I have a love/hate relationship with clouds - the first couple of hours I'm usually seriously thinking about throwing the thing out the window, but as usual I press on and before long things come together.

Have to let the canvas dry for a few days before I start on the Corsair. It's 24 x 32 oil on linen mounted on panel.

Wade

Fighting_17_backgrd_complete_33.jpg

Here's the small oil sketch I did to use as a rough color guide. Naturally, I changed a few things, but the Corsair will look pretty much the same (hopefully!):

jr_color_study_web_121906.jpg

I think you've done a nice job with the low sun angle - clouds need to
look "right" without totally stealing the painting from the aircraft. They
work together and I think you've got it. I judge clouds after years of looking
at Keith Ferris paintings, and I reckon you are on par there.

. . . clouds need to look "right" without totally stealing the painting from the aircraft. They work together and I think you've got it.

Many thanks!

You are exactly right - the airplane in this one will be the center of interest, and there is where your eye should go first (once the painting is finished). It's essential for the aviation artist to remember that yes, you want your clouds to look "right", but not so complicated and "interesting" that they unnecessarily distract from the airplane. Sometimes that means "toning down" the contrast a bit on that perfect cloud shape you just finally got right - and it also means knowing when to stop fiddling with it! :lol:

Wade

yeah man you've got the touch Wade ! excellent.

hey man you better go back to TOCH cause I just made a reply I think to Randy manning, his father was in the 4th fg but you probably have a ton more on the man than me. Looks like after Cecil powdered 2 Bf 110G-2's of III./ZG 26 on March 6, 1944 the last one shot him down with the twin mg 81's

Idea ~ could this make a dramatic painting or what ?? P-51B after a Bf 110G-2 ?

Erich ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back