Fighting your own.......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seawitch

Airman 1st Class
Dec 17, 2006
London
www.seawitchartist.com
Hi all
Theres nothing unusual about modern forces fighting equipment that came from home.
It seems less the case in the past though.
I know the Finnish Air Force had the Blenhiem bomber, their only modern aircraft I gather, and they would soon join Germany against Russia.
Thats about as close as I can get to an example, but were there other cases?
BB
Seawitch:?:

ANXBe.png

Last edited:
Yugolslavia flew Bf 109s against the Germans at the beginning of the invasion in April 1941. As did Iraq during the brief scirmish there during the war. In May 1944, Switzerland bought 12 Bf 109G-6s as part of deal for them to destroy a Bf 109G-4 that they captured and the Luftwaffe wanted.

Didn't the Germans love using captured Jeeps, and found them much preferable to their own Kubelwagons? That's the closest example I can think of

Germans made extensive use of captured equipment. An example:

21st Panzer division when reformed in July 1943 had a tank regiment (100th Panzer Regiment) that was made up from various independant companies that were equipped with French Hotchkiss and Somua tanks. On May 20, 1944 the unit was re-equipped with PzKpfw IVs in place of the French tanks.

There were some Luftwaffe units that used captured aircraft, most obvious being KG 200 and I believe LG 1 in the beginning.

On the Allies side, 325the FG in North Africa had both a Bf 109 and Fw 190 although I don't think they were used operationally.

Didn't the Germans love using captured Jeeps, and found them much preferable to their own Kubelwagons? That's the closest example I can think of

When the German military took delivery of the first vehicles, they immediately put them to the test on- and off-road in snow and ice to test their capability at handling European winters; several four-wheel-drive vehicles were used as reference points. The two-wheel drive Kübelwagen surprised even those who had been a part of its development, as it handily out-performed the other vehicles in nearly every test. Most notably - thanks to its smooth, flat underbody—the Kübel would propel itself much like a motorised sled when its wheels were sinking into sand, snow or mud, allowing it to follow tracked vehicles with remarkable tenacity.

In November of 1943, the American military conducted a series of tests as well on several Type 82's they had captured in North Africa; they concluded that the vehicle was simpler, easier to manufacture and maintain, faster, and more comfortable for four passengers than the American Jeeps.

Volkswagen Kübelwagen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Spanish Civil war must have had examples of same type aircraft fighting each other.

What about the Dewonitine D.520? That was used by both sides, although I don't know if they ever flew against eachother

Users who are viewing this thread

Back