FINISHED: The Battle of River Plate (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The technique I used probably would not work in that scale though.The stripes I used were maybe between 1/32-1/16" it would be a sliver in 1/700 not impossible seeing what some fellas do in miniture is beyond my eyesight anymore.Like you I have a 1/64 Pride of Balitimore Pride of Baltimore II - model ship kit by Model Shipways waiting in the wings .When I was younger I built alot sailing ships from Revell maybe all of them at some point or other.As far as as a group build ships generally take awhile depending on the type,the destroyer took maybe 6-8 wks pidialing 1-2hrs a night 3-5 nights a week.Thats the one thing about ships it's easy to walk away weras with planes it was I had to get from pt.A>B to seem like something happened atleast for me?

Very nice, good to see another ship model on here. I see you have mastered the rigging and photo-etch well.

I've moved over to ship modelling recently (1:350), the only probelm is there's so much on them they take so long. My USS Missouri took about 9 months, now working on HMS Warspite with the aim to complete by the end of the year.

Yes it does to some degree and 1/350 is my scale also with a good range of subjects and size.The one thing for me that seems to help is if you can sit down for 1-2 hrs a few nights a week they can go pretty fast but not as fast as a/c.It's also important for the mentality of it all to kind of treat each facet of the build as a mini-build within the overall scope of things for me atleast.

Ive ordered the Korean war vintage HMS Glory from arsenal last week. should arrive in about 4 weeks. 1;700 resin kit, i plan to finish her in HMAS Sydney colours. Have also ordered 20 replacement furies and fireflies, and some brass bofors just to jazz it up a bit. Cant wait, will make a post for progress shots i think. Would love you other ship nuts to post your progress models as well

am just finishing off my USS constellation (CVA 66) should be able to post her in a month or two, after i move and finish the current a/c group build

Further down the track really would like to build the earlier ships that bore the "Sydney" name....but we will have to see....

Michael I will see if I can post a pic or two of the rear deak to the Prinz Eugen.I am on the thrid bit of stripping so about to lay the last color it's the ship is so big and so much decking.Jules over @modelshipwrights does such a great job it seems with so much less work I might need to learn it if my patience goes thin.I am just having some slight home issues that are of concern kinda zapping alot of energy/interest of late.

Well two months later guys I have some better pics I think.The last pic is the poop deck of the Eugen ;)

Grafspee011.jpg

Grafspee010.jpg

Grafspee009.jpg

Grafspee005.jpg

Grafspee006.jpg

still got to gloss and do caulking in between planks(burnt umber)

Grafspee012.jpg

Grafspee013.jpg

Thanks guys ;) The Eugen is much bigger and the planks seem more realistic in width than what was presented on the Spee so more cutting is required of course.Thanks for looking in work on plastic is slow right now but quite abit of work in wood and honey-dos is happening :(

Charlie the rigging is done with strecthed sprue.This allows one to once it has been laid that a match recently extinguished can be run underneath till properly taught.As for the decking in post #19 it pretty much explains the technique.What I have to do now is apply a few coats of gloss and with a very diluted wash apply it to the deck let dry some and wipe it up,whala and we have the tar for the planking.

That looks terrific Kevin !
Just found out the Revell (ex-Matchbox) 1/72nd scale 'Flower' Class Corvette is going to be re-released, this time with PE and turned brass parts included. It'll cost a bit, but I'm very tempted!

I need to go ahead and finish my 1/72 Gato!! I have maybe 4-5 hrs I figure but go for it Terry it's a nice diversion.But I have to admit the 1/24 Mosquito is scratching at the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back