First American shot down?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First US aviator, assigned to a US unit at the time he was shot down, whom I can find was Ensign Albert Dillon Sturtevant, USNR, shot down and killed on 15 February 1918 over the North Sea. Which makes him also the first US naval aviator killed in action. Sturtevant was assigned to the USN patrol detachment located at Felixstowe. Posthumous Navy Cross.

Rich

First US aviator, assigned to a US unit at the time he was shot down, whom I can find was Ensign Albert Dillon Sturtevant, USNR, shot down and killed on 15 February 1918 over the North Sea. Which makes him also the first US naval aviator killed in action. Sturtevant was assigned to the USN patrol detachment located at Felixstowe. Posthumous Navy Cross.

Rich

Great info rich but I think Sturtevant was actually attached to RFC unit at Felixstowe.

He must not have been serving the US at that time because the first to be shot down in the service of the US was on March 9, 1918.

But I am sure it was Baldwin. He was the first US airman shot down by enemy fire. Just waiting on my prof to confirm it.

He must not have been serving the US at that time because the first to be shot down in the service of the US was on March 9, 1918.

But I am sure it was Baldwin. He was the first US airman shot down by enemy fire. Just waiting on my prof to confirm it.

If you're talking about Miller, he was serving with the US and was flying an aircraft under US control. I think you are correct on Baldwin, Miller the first shot down in an aircraft assigned to a US unit under US control.

If you're talking about Miller, he was serving with the US and was flying an aircraft under US control. I think you are correct on Baldwin, Miller the first shot down in an aircraft assigned to a US unit under US control.

No I was talking about Sturtevant, I know about Miller. Miller was my guess at first until I figured out it was not a heavier than air ship that was shot down.

I suppose it is a matter of semantics. A serving USN aviator in an, albeit very small, USN detachment assigned to an RFC base. Okay, either way for me.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back