First American shot down?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Does anyone know who the first American military airman to be shot down while serving in an actual US air unit?

I know Victor Chapman was the first American but he was serving in the Lafayette Escadrille which was a French unit. I am looking for the first American serving in an American unit.

Adler, this is what I found........but I'll keep looking also

The first American Airman shot down by enemy fire was Victor Chapman, on June 23, 1916 near Luxeuil-les-Bains near Switzerland. The US had not yet entered WWI and Chapman was one of about two dozen American pilots who volunteered to serve in the French Army, despite the fact that France, Germany and England had many more pilots than the US. The American volunteers were called the Lafayette Escadrille, after the Frenchman famous for helping fight the American Revolution.

The US finally joined the war in October 1917. By March 1918 they had two squadrons of planes, the 94th and 95th. Famous pilots included Major Lufbery, a French-born American from the Lafayette Escadrille, and Eddie Rickenbacher, both famous aces before the war ended.

On March 12 Captain Phelps Collins of the 103rd Aero Squadron crashed while on a combat patrol near Paris, the first member of the American Aviation Section to die in a war zone.

Yeah it is none of them. I have found all of the same info. I am beginning to think I am going to have to look outside of the box and start thinking of Balloon airman going all the way back to the Civil War.

Again he was serving in the French Airforce. The guy I am looking for was serving for the US, hense after the US entered the war.

Now I could be way off on this ..I was thinking that America was at war with Mexico at the late 1800's early 1900's and aircraft were first used..Was the first America shot down then..??????

I got the same as V2 from:

WW1 1918 historical timeline for 1st Fighter Group

10 Mar 1918 - 95th - Captain James E. Miller went to Coincy and obtained the Nieuport left there on the 8th and flew it to Coligny where it was turned in for a Spad. He then joined a patrol with Major Davenport Johnson and Major Harmon over the Rheims sector. They were attacked by two German planes inside the German lines. Major Davenport Johnson last saw Captain Miller in a "Vrille" inside the German lines. This was the first casualty to be suffered at the Organization Center and the first battle casualty of the organizations which were to comprise the First Pursuit Group. Captain Seth Low assumed command of the squadron.

I also checked the Mexican Punitive War but the 1st Aero Sqdrn suffered no casualties. Maybe a balloon unit?

I did some looking around and I keep coming up with Capt. Miller. I always knew about this guy becuase there was an old air field named after him in the town I grew up in.

Miller Field (Staten Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

"Miller Field was a United States Air Force facility on Staten Island, New York, near Fort Wadsworth. It was founded in November 1919 and completed in 1921. It was named after James Ely Miller, a captain of the 95th Fighter Squadron in the Air Force, who died in combat on March 10, 1918 over Rheims in World War I and was the first United States aviator killed in the war."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back