First glimpse of the Boeing 787

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Disregarding the difficulties in flying.... it is possible to have a GE on one wing and a RR on the other...

It wouldn't be a simple case of swaping the engine, you'd also have to swap the strut as there are some differences in wiring within the strut, fire extinguishers and such.... So you're interchanging back to the strut disconnect point.

Even with that said there is a different set of drawings for the wiring up to this strut disconnet point for an RR engine and GE... so as always it's not a simple case of offering one up or the other.

As posted in an earlier thread this is RR T1000 engine on RR's flying test bed...a 747

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/modern/boeing-dream-lifter-747-lcf-6494-2.html

So it is possible to have different engine, physical sizes of engine on different wings, I suppose as long as the pilot compensates for it ?

regards

Simon

Disregarding the difficulties in flying.... it is possible to have a GE on one wing and a RR on the other...

It wouldn't be a simple case of swaping the engine, you'd also have to swap the strut as there are some differences in wiring within the strut, fire extinguishers and such.... So you're interchanging back to the strut disconnect point.

Even with that said there is a different set of drawings for the wiring up to this strut disconnet point for an RR engine and GE... so as always it's not a simple case of offering one up or the other.

As posted in an earlier thread this is RR T1000 engine on RR's flying test bed...a 747

So it is possible to have different engine, physical sizes of engine on different wings, I suppose as long as the pilot compensates for it ?

regards

Simon

Aircraft used for testing engines are not a run of the mill military or civil aircraft, and are generally on eof akind test platforms.

Boeing used a single common strut to handle both engines as a way to save money.

Conceivably its possible to co mingle engines on an aircraft such as the 787. The fuel management system, if set up to do so will take care of any differences in power settings the pilot may have to deal with.

Possible but not probable.

How about "uneconomical"

In what terms? Operationally this shouldn't pose a problem and maintenance wise it would be a benefit. The FMS would ensure that each engine operated to its top efficiency. Unless there's something aerodynamically which would degrade performance, I can't see why this couldn't be done.

Personally as a pilot, I would rather have "two of the same."

regards

Simon

No the 787 is the first aircraft that will allow you to just replace the engines. It has a common electrical interface for both engines.

In what terms? Operationally this shouldn't pose a problem and maintenance wise it would be a benefit. The FMS would ensure that each engine operated to its top efficiency. Unless there's something aerodynamically which would degrade performance, I can't see why this couldn't be done.

Personally as a pilot, I would rather have "two of the same."

For one, different weights of the engine mean unbalanced wing loads, requiring less than optimum flight control settings. That cuts down on fuel efficency.

I dont suppose the drag ratio's of either engine is all that different.

And finally, logistics....... cheaper to have one set of spare parts than two.

For one, different weights of the engine mean unbalanced wing loads, requiring less than optimum flight control settings. That cuts down on fuel efficency.

I dont suppose the drag ratio's of either engine is all that different.

And finally, logistics....... cheaper to have one set of spare parts than two.
The weight is negligible between the two engines and the trim system (which is computer controlled) will take care of any "unbalance" (if any).

As far as logistics - most airlines lease their aircraft and engines. banks usually own them. There is a lot of "swapping" between airlines. Having the ability to interchange engines is actually a plus in this situation and it avoids "placing your eggs in one basket" as happened to Lockheed on the L-1011 many years ago.

As far as spare parts - again limited as most airlines no longer overhaul their engines, they send them out so only line maintenance parts will be stocked. I do know United uses a "dock to stock" system where only what is needed is actually orders. In this scenario only "rotables" (filters, gaskets etc.) might be engine specific. the impact on logistics will be minimal.

The Trent 1000 can also be "de tuned" to match the GE engine (If this was to be done)

No the 787 is the first aircraft that will allow you to just replace the engines. It has a common electrical interface for both engines.

Then I have to wonder if the strut wiring, the wiring between the strut disconnect and the engine disconnect is the same for both engines and whether this is an easy interchange operation.

The engines CoG are different... T1000 are a lot shorter than the GE engines...

Simon

Then I have to wonder if the strut wiring, the wiring between the strut disconnect and the engine disconnect is the same for both engines and whether this is an easy interchange operation.

Simon
Engine C of G? Where did you come up with that? If the engine mounts are designed to fit the same point on the pylon, it doesn't make a difference. And its that way on many airliners designed to take on different engines. Once that engine is on that pylon it's part of the airframe and computed into the entire CG.

Simon

If you dont care to believe me on it, go and check out the Boeing website.

Hey I only state facts from Boeing and its not like its something thats really hard to believe. I might not know everything but being an Aircraft Mechanic I find it easy eneogh to believe what a manufacturer says.

Simon

Makes sense . . .

To keep the A/C's CoG in the same place, the engines would probably have to mount in a slightly different place if their CoG's are different.

Makes sense . . .

To keep the A/C's CoG in the same place, the engines would probably have to mount in a slightly different place if their CoG's are different.
Wrong.

The aircraft C of G has nothing to do with the engines C of G. Once attached to the airframe it all becomes one "moment" with the aircraft. Here's some info on weight and balance

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-1A.pdf

I could tell you that during engine installation, the CG is attained while hoisting the engine (I did a few, DC-9, DC-10, B-727 and B-737). I would also guess that both RR and GE engines have a similar C of G but either way once attached to the aircraft it has nothing to do with the over all aircraft C of G.

Wrong.

The aircraft C of G has nothing to do with the engines C of G. Once attached to the airframe it all becomes one "moment" with the aircraft. Here's some info on weight and balance

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-1A.pdf

I could tell you that during engine installation, the CG is attained while hoisting the engine (I did a few, DC-9, DC-10, B-727 and B-737). I would also guess that both RR and GE engines have a similar C of G but either way once attached to the aircraft it has nothing to do with the over all aircraft C of G.

God I hated Weight and Balance!!!!:lol: When we had an aircraft whos weight and balance was out of tolerance after some work or modifications were done or we added ballistic protection, etc.... sometimes it would take a whole day to figure it out. 9 out 10 times it was a math error! :lol:

Flyboy.... you're doing the maths from the point of the CoG of the plane...

Have you considered that an engine manufacturer would do the maths from a point of it's engine and the stresses applied to it's mounting fixtures ?

Simon

Flyboy.... you're doing the maths from the point of the CoG of the plane...
That's right - because once the engine is on the plane then only thing that matters is its weight and "moment."
Have you considered that an engine manufacturer would do the maths from a point of it's engine and the stresses applied to it's mounting fixtures ?

Simon

That's calculated in the design of the pylon and that's why the pylon is so robust in its construction. As far as putting different engine types on the aircraft, the only thing a maintainer would have to consider is any change in weight and then calculate that in the aircraft's weight and balance records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back