Flight Sim Center

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FlyboyJ,

Just to let you know, there is a flight sim center in a Mall somewhere in Lakewood CO. .

I have been wanting to open a flight sim center in my area, but I can't afford big simulators like the one you were in, just simple networked flight sims for multiplayer dog fights. I was curious to find out what other flight sim centers are out there.

FlyboyJ,

Just to let you know, there is a flight sim center in a Mall somewhere in Lakewood CO. .

I have been wanting to open a flight sim center in my area, but I can't afford big simulators like the one you were in, just simple networked flight sims for multiplayer dog fights. I was curious to find out what other flight sim centers are out there.

I have been to the flight sim place you're refering to. It's located at the Colorado Mills Mall on Colfax and I've been to it a couple of times. The owner and founder is a medivac pilot named Garth. Right now he is one of three game sim sites that I am aware of but his doesn't focus on the **** pit like the other two do. He focuses on the flight itself. I started a thread about that place in the flying part of this website. I believe I left a link to his website. I do know that he is thinking of moving to franchising his business out. I'm not sure if he is there yet so I may call him later. Hope this helps.

:)

Thanks Night Fighter Nut,

I was concerned about a flight sim center because I lack the realistic ****pit as well. This is why I started this thread. I wanted to find out whether or not people would be willing to pay to fly a simpler ****pit. I feel large 37" 1080dpi LCD screens with TrackIR would work better than a projector. The dimensions are blown out of proportion on the big screen, and I like the great detail in the simulator using 3d cockpits. Also less expensive simulators make it affordable to more people. My mission is to promote aviation and get more kids involved in flying. This is what I use to promote aerospace education in my area. But the expenses of a Mall mean higher prices.

simulators

I used to be able to fit the sims in my Caravan, but I created another simulator base so they don't fit anymore. Working on Kickstarter project to get money to make changes.

On a reserve RON to NAS Whibey in 1982, (a return to my former station-home for a weekend) I had a buddy (a careerist) from my first squadron take me into the EA-6B full motion sim. WoW! SAMs all around me and that damned ALR-somerthing screaming in my ear. Why is my own carrier shooting at me when I am trying to land? Isn't that hard enough without some trigger happy virtual Gunner's Mate trying to ruin my day? Would I pay for a hint of that experience... you bet! Of course at my advanced age, it might be too much for the old ticker.

Before deployment from there from 1971-73, I took every chance I got to work the A-6A cockpit simulator (No motion). Even that was fun, especially when I dropped a nuc and all the lights went out, courtesy of the Grumman tech rep. 8)

Your question brought back some fun memories. Thanks Vert! sign me up.

Last edited:
I live 10 minutes from the Mills, the next time I'm over there I'll have to check it out.

Sims are fun but unless you're in a certified sim doing a specific training (like instrument approaches or emergency procedures) for the most part I consider them just a game that provides some numbers and visual cues on what you might experience in real life.

If it is only networked computers, I am not sure how much that will work out. I don't think people will want to pay to play a dogfight game, when they can buy the game and network at home.

Now if you are going to go with real certified full motion simulators than that is another story.

If it is only networked computers, I am not sure how much that will work out. I don't think people will want to pay to play a dogfight game, when they can buy the game and network at home.

Now if you are going to go with real certified full motion simulators than that is another story.

And that might be the key to success. To give an experience that you just can't get at home on your PC.

I was concerned about a flight sim center because I lack the realistic ****pit as well. This is why I started this thread. I wanted to find out whether or not people would be willing to pay to fly a simpler ****pit. ... My mission is to promote aviation and get more kids involved in flying. This is what I use to promote aerospace education in my area. But the expenses of a Mall mean higher prices. ....

I went to this place a few times and usually there was always people there to fly. The ****pit portion is very simple and made up after the fashion of an airforce training ****pit. The screens were very large and curved around the whole front giving a 180 degree view. Each screen had two projectors. The resolution was good and the graphics much like flying in the video games Il-2 or Locked-on. There is a central computer that links the to stations they have at this place. The flight controls are the type used by home entertainment systems. Prices, they charged by blocks of time and at levels that people were willing to pay. It is not really high tech but they always had people there and it appeared that they are making money. When he first started his business at the mall, I gave him a few ideas to help him draw customers and he has so far used some of the ideas with some level of success.

Last edited:
As long as the "customer" is just sitting at a table, I still don't think much if it. Why pay money to play, ( I refuse to use the word fly) when you can do it cheaper at home.

After seeing how it worked, I liked the wrap around screen consept better. I did note that the controls for flying were a bit touchy but they were still working out some of the bugs... it was a new business after all. I told Garth that I was thinking of buying a franchise from him once he got it all together and opening it up in Dallas. The trick is finding the right place to open it. It should be in a busy area where lots of people go to entertain themselves. Colorado Mills is a big hang-out place for kids. Oddly enough the biggest customers were adults.

As long as the "customer" is just sitting at a table, I still don't think much if it. Why pay money to play, ( I refuse to use the word fly) when you can do it cheaper at home.

The customer isn't sitting at a table. The customer is sitting in a mockup of a jet. The flight stick is on the right side and the throttle is on the left. They don't have the rudder peddles yet but not really necessary for someone who is handicapped. Is it flying? ... no, but it is fun to do as I've watched several people pay money to try it. By the way, the program they use has a mode that does allow for all the charactoristics of flying a plane... Just not the movements.

The customer isn't sitting at a table. The customer is sitting in a mockup of a jet. The flight stick is on the right side and the throttle is on the left. They don't have the rudder peddles yet but not really necessary for someone who is handicapped. Is it flying? ... no, but it is fun to do as I've watched several people pay money to try it. By the way, the program they use has a mode that does allow for all the charactoristics of flying a plane... Just not the movements.

Yes I know that. I was refering to Vertigos idea of 1080 HD Flat screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back