Flying Legends 2019.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.
Next slot was the "Flying Legends D-Day Tribute", with three C-47's, all D-Day veterans, and two L-4 Cubs.
As I'd been at the 'Daks over Duxford' event just five weeks previously, and already photographed these same aircraft, I didn't bother trying too much this time around, especially as conditions were particularly dull.

Coming next is a real newcomer to the airshow circuit, making it's debut at Legends this year ...............

Thanks very much indeed, Wojtek, Hugh and Paul.

As mentioned in my last post, this year's Flying Legends saw the debut of a very rare aircraft, in the form of the Historic Aircraft Collection's DH.9.
Until very recently, there were only three known surviving DH.9's in the World - in the Musee de L'Air, Paris, one at Saxonwold, South Africa, and a "civilianised" example in Australia, none of which are airworthy examples.
Following up on some rumours, and after many years of negotiation, Guy Black, of Aero Vintage, managed to rescue and bring to the UK two airframes, found in an elephant stable in India, the aircraft having been 'Gifts of the Empire'.
Whilst one has been fully restored to flying condition, the other has been restored for static display (the wooden airframe having suffered the attention of termites), and is now on permanent display at Duxford, the restorations having been carried out by Retrotec.
Built in 1918, the airworthy example is now operated by the Historic Aircraft Collection, and had it's first post-restoration flight earlier this summer, with 'Flying Legends 2019 being it's first public display outing, showcasing the oldest airworthy aircraft to fly over the weekend.
This, and the following post, show to advantage the wonderful restoration work carried out on the airworthy example.

More of the show to follow soon.

And now for something completely different !!

I'm not sure that this display fits with the theme of 'Flying Legends', although the Stearman was, of course, a major contributor to the training of WW2 pilots, and, although enjoyable to watch, even after seeing the 'act' several times over the past four decades or so, I think I would have preferred the inclusion of some Hurricanes.
Still, it was impressive to watch the power of these 'Super Stearmans' which, unlike the 'standard' version, have a 450 hp radial in place of the more normal 220 hp, and also have ailerons on the upper wings, as well as the lower wings - Oh, and I almost forgot - they also have an added attachment, in the form of a lady on the top wing !!

Still more warbirds to come, as well as the final 'Balbo' formation.

The penultimate 'singleton' display, before the fighters took off to form up for the 'Balbo' to close the show, was provided by the D-Day veteran C-47A, operated by 'Aces High'. Again, I only took a few, token shots of this display.

Thanks my friend - a few more to come, with the fighter take off, the 'Balbo', and some odds and ends.

Back soon ........................

Users who are viewing this thread