"Flying Legends" airshow, Duxford, 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Mick and I arrived on the camp site at Fowlmere, just up the road from DX, on Saturday evening, just as that days flying displays were ending. The weather was nice and sunny, although perhaps cooler than average for this time of year, with a good forecast for Sunday.
However, the weather on Sunday morning was dull and dismal, with a blustery wind blowing, and by the time we got to the airfield at 08.00 hrs., there was no sign of improvement. Sure enough, rain came in from the south west, continuing for most of the morning, so I retired to the comfort of the 'Tin Tent' and decided to take any photographs from there, as it was only around 150 meters back from the crowd line.
There was a slight improvement by the time the flying started, although conditions were still marginal, and above limits for some of the aircraft. The show opened with the Spitfire formations and 'tail chase' and, although the wind persisted, conditions improved as the show progressed, with sunshine and clouds, quite warm out of the wind, although gusts were strong enough to buffet my camera at times.
We met up with Gary (Geedee) and his lovely wife for a chat, and had I known that Steve (Stona) was going, we could have got together also.
Although it turned out to be a good show, with a couple of bonus 'acts' I hadn't known about, it seemed to lack the impact of previous shows, perhaps due to the weather and the recent CAA changes to the rules, and the attendance certainly seemed less than previous years. I certainly didn't take as many pics as I normally would, but I'll post a few over the next few days, starting with the Spitfires that opened the show.

PIC 1. The lovely Lockheed Electra in the murk, illustrates what conditions were like in the morning, this shot being taken at around 10.00 am.
PICS 2 to 9 The Spitfire formation and tail chase was as good as usual.

More pics to follow tomorrow.

Leg 1.jpg
Leg 2.jpg
Leg 3.jpg
Leg 4.jpg
Leg 5.jpg
Leg 6.jpg
Leg 7.jpg
Leg 8.jpg
Leg 9.jpg

Thanks chaps, next installment later tonight, when I've sorted more pics.
I'll be posting the pics more or less in the order of the display, with a noticeable improvement in quality as the weather improved.

I'll admit, we did stop a few going sour, and stayed up later than intended, on Saturday night !

And back to the show, with the resident Corsair and Bearcat, performing formation and singleton aerobatics. Although the weather was slowly improving at this point, it was still rather murky, and a touch difficult, at times, to photograph against the grey background.
Next post will show the early Curtis Hawk types.

Leg 10.jpg
Leg 11.jpg
Leg 12.jpg
Leg 13.jpg
Leg 14.jpg
Leg 15.jpg
Leg 16.jpg
Leg 17.jpg
Leg 18.jpg
Leg 19.jpg

Next 'act' featured the beautiful Curtis P-36, the Hawk in French colours, and the shiny, bare metal P-40C.
Again, formation and singleton aerobatics were performed, and these old aircraft really showed their agility, with a mixture of different engine sounds.
Pics are posted in two parts, due to forum limits.

Leg 20.jpg
Leg 21.jpg
Leg 22.jpg
Leg 23.jpg
Leg 24.jpg
Leg 25.jpg
Leg 26.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back