"Flying Legends" airshow, Duxford, 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps.
I'll be back later this evening, with the Heritage Flight - Raptor and P-51 Mustang.

I hadn't looked at the flying programme since checking on-line on Friday morning, and it wasn't until Gary (Geedee), appeared in the doorway of the 'Tin Tent' late Sunday morning, that I was brought up to date with what the line-up looked like.
The wind at that time was quite strong, a cross wind at around 18-20 mph, with gusts above 25 mph, judging by the wind sock, and it was evident that some displays, such as the WW 1 Albatross and Sopwith Snipe, would probably not get airborne (they didn't), but I was pleased to hear from Gary that there was a Hawker Fury (similar to the Sea Fury), in 'Prototype' markings (pics later), and the U.S. Heritage Flight, a formation with a Raptor and P-51 Mustang, with the Raptor also performing a solo display.
The Raptor put on an impressive display, which the photos go some way to illustrate. Although I didn't think it was as impressive as the Eurofighter Typhoon, it was a very welcome, and unusual sight, for a UK airshow.
This, and the next post, show their display. Next set of pics will feature the Swiss DC-3 and Beech 18 formation.

Leg 34.jpg
Leg 35.jpg
Leg 36.jpg
Leg 37.jpg
Leg 38.jpg
Leg 39.jpg
Leg 40.jpg
Leg 41.jpg

Thanks chaps.

On with the show, and the Swiss DC-3 and Beech 18 formation, who put on a wonderful display, in formation, and as a Beech pair and Douglas solo, the latter doing what you wouldn't expect from an old lady of the airways !
Again, the pics are in two parts.

Leg 50.jpg
Leg 51.jpg
Leg 52.jpg
Leg 53.jpg
Leg 54.jpg
Leg 55.jpg
Leg 56.jpg
Leg 57.jpg
Leg 58.jpg

Second set of the DC-3 / Beech 18 display.
Next selection, coming soon, will feature the 'Red Bull' team, with B-25, Corsair, and P-38.

Leg 59.jpg
Leg 60.jpg
Leg 61.jpg
Leg 62.jpg
Leg 63.jpg
Leg 64.jpg
Leg 65.jpg
Leg 66.jpg
Leg 67.jpg

Thanks very much Paul.

I was glad to see that the 'Red Bull' team had brought all three aircraft advertised as participants, as the last time I went to 'Legends', in 2014, both the Corsair and P-38 had been stranded in France, due to bad weather.
The B-25, Corsair, and P-38 put on a magnificent display, first as a three ship formation, then the B-25,
Leg 68.jpg
Leg 69.jpg
Leg 70.jpg
Leg 71.jpg
Leg 72.jpg
Leg 73.jpg
Leg 74.jpg
Leg 75.jpg
which thought it was a fighter, judging by the way it was thrown around the sky, followed by the fighters in a two ship close formation aerobatic display which was nothing less than stunning.
It was hard to choose which photos to select, so I'm posting these in three lots.

Darned forum up-loading system split the text in the last post !
Anyway, here's Part Two of the 'Red Bulls' display.

Leg 76.jpg
Leg 77.jpg
Leg 78.jpg
Leg 79.jpg
Leg 80.jpg
Leg 81.jpg
Leg 82.jpg
Leg 83.jpg

You've got some great shots there Terry, well done considering the weather !. I agree the show was a lot 'tamer than previous years not helped by the fact that we had 15 aircraft no-shows who were due to be there. I think the flightline consisted of 47 A/C !

On the Sunday, we left the show mid afternoon, just as Sally B was smoking around the circuit. For me the show was a let down....I took only 1 (yes ONE !) photo on the Sunday instead of my usual multi-millions and didn't even look back as we drove away.

Lets have some more of your photo's ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back