"Flying Legends" airshow, Duxford, 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again chaps - more pics coming very soon.

Gary, I agree, the show, although not quite a 'let down' for me, was certainly very tame compared to previous 'Legends', and even compared to the 'normal' DX shows. I noticed the lack of participants, but I was glad to see the P-38, Avenger, Fury and that Raptor thingy.
It was really noticeable when the 'Balbo' closed the show, with a relatively small formation, compared to previous years, but the Mk.V Spit stood-in as the 'Joker', replacing the Gladiator, and gave a superb display.
I really couldn't be bothered to go to the flight line and grab a spot, so stayed at the van to take all the pics, and I'm quite surprised, and pleased, that I managed to get some reasonable shots with the 300 mm Nikon lens at that range, some 450 - 500 meters from the display axis.
I'm due to meet up with Max and Barbara at the September show, so it'll be interesting to see what the displays are like then. Meanwhile, the next show for me will probably be at East Kirkby, on August 6th, which looks like it might be a nice little show, and then possibly Little Gransden, a nice little grass strip, at the end of August.

The next slot was supposed to be the B-17 formation, with resident B-17G 'Sally B' accompanied by three P-51 Mustangs. However, as Gary mentioned, there were a number of 'no shows', and I didn't see resident P-51s 'Ferocious Frankie' or 'Miss Velma', although they might have been static on the part of the flight line I didn't visit in the morning.
The slot opened with a few solo passes by the French registered P-51 'Moonbeam Mc Swine', followed alternately by the Norwegian Historic flight's camouflaged example as a solo display, and in formation, before the latter joined in formation with 'Sally B' for a relatively fore-shortened display.
Again, the pics are divided between two posts.
As the weather tomorrow (or later today) is forecast to be sunny, I'm going to take advantage and get out and about in the 'Tin Tent', but depending what time I get back, I'll try to post some more pics.

Leg 91.jpg
Leg 92.jpg
Leg 93.jpg
Leg 94.jpg
Leg 95.jpg
Leg 96.jpg
Leg 97.jpg
Leg 98.jpg
Leg 99.jpg

Thanks again chaps.
Andy, it would suffice if Mr. Red Bull (forgotten his name) just re-painted them, in his pristine facility. But, as Spencer Flack was once heard to say, to some spectator who complained to him about his Spitfire MkXIV, G-FIRE being in an overall red colour scheme, "And what colour is your Spitfire ?" !!!!

Back soon with more pics.

Thanks Wojtek and Paul.

The next slot was a bit of a change around, with the Hawker biplanes taking to the air earlier than billed, and I'll admit I didn't expect to see them airborne in the fairly windy conditions.
The lovely Hawker Fury, and it's Naval equivalent, the Nimrod, last of the Hawker biplane fighters before the Hurricane, did a short formation display, before splitting and doing solo passes and aerobatics.
As I already have a number of shots of both of the Duxford Nimrods, and as I hadn't seen the Fury fly before, I concentrated on the latter, but only took a few shots.
Here's a sample, and I'll post more pics sometime tomorrow, featuring the Messerchmitt (Buchon) duo.

Leg 109.jpg
Leg 110.jpg
Leg 111.jpg
Leg 112.jpg
Leg 113.jpg
Leg 114.jpg
Leg 115.jpg
Leg 116.jpg

Many thanks chaps, glad you like the pics, and your comments are much appreciated.

The next lot should have been a mixed display with the two Messerschmitt 109s (Buchons), two Gladiators, and then the Blenheim Mk1 with the Mk1 Hurricane and Spitfire, which went almost to plan, although only one of the Gladiators took to the air. Presumably the weather, and serviceability, changed the slot slightly, but after the Buchon formation aerobatics, and a singleton 'Gladbag', the Blenheim featured in solo and formation displays, with the advertised fighters, plus the Gladiator.
The 'Buchons' and the Gladiator are shown here, again split between two posts.
The final pic of the Buchon landing (not a very good pic)
Leg 117.jpg
Leg118.jpg
Leg 119.jpg
Leg 120.jpg
Leg 121.jpg
Leg 122.jpg
Leg 123.jpg
shows the nose-down attitude on 'finals', and with the stiff crosswind, I watched closely as the aircraft touched down without the slightest problem, rolling out smoothly on the grass, with not even a hint of a 'wing lift' or course deviation.
Unfortunately, due to cars and people in the way, I couldn't capture the actual landing and roll-out.

I'm planning on going on a bit of a tour in the 'Tin Tent' in the next couple of days, and I'll be away for three or four days, but I'll try to conclude this review of 'Flying Legends, 2016' before I go, with more pics tomorrow (Tuesday), and possibly Wednesday morning (UK time).

Nice ones. Terry, when uploading the pics, make sure all have finished uploading before pushing the Full Size button. That may be why you are getting them loading in the middle of your post.

Nice photo's of the Buchon's. Did not realise that when John repainted his aircraft he also changed the wing tips. Looks good with square ends.

Thanks again chaps !

Andy, I did, and do, wait until all the pics have up-loaded before hitting the 'Full Size' button. However, if I then go back to the text to make a correction or addition, even though the spacing of the pics is the same, the text, when posted, is then split, and not even at the point where any correction or addition was made !
It's bl**dy irritating and somewhat cumbersome.

Regarding the 'square' wingtips on John's Buchon - I can't remember if they were fitted before he had it painted in it's previous colour scheme, replicating that from the BoB movie, but when the 'fleet' of Buchons was gathered together by Hamish Mahaddie for the movie, one of the 'vis mods' was the 'clipped' wings. Commandante Santacruz, the chief pilot on the movie in Spain, commented that it was a pity this mod hadn't been carried out when the aircraft were in service, as it improved the handling !
There was an article in either 'Fly Past' or 'Aeroplane' magazine (possibly in both) at the time the aircraft was restored and painted as it appeared in the movie, and from memory, I think it was mentioned that the 'square' wing tips were fitted then. It's possible that these are new-build, as they don't seem to match those used in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back