"Flying Legends" airshow, Duxford, 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He definitely had the round tips on at Wanaka 2016 a couple of months ago, before the repaint.
romain.jpg

Thanks Wojtek, Paul and Wayne - more pics later this evening. It's 30+ degrees here today, very rare, so I'm going out in the 'Tin Tent' to a local lake to cool down a bit and enjoy as much as of this rare sunshine as possible !

WW2 Restorer - you're right, and the wing tips were in place last September too (see pic below). Interestingly, the MTO Buchon had the 'square' tips at that time, so maybe they've been changed around for the movie which I've heard John's is being used for. I'll see if I can get some info when I'm at DX next, in September, if not before. The Lanc is being opened up for viewing in August, so I might go to take some detail pics.

Andy, that's a possibility, although I normally check to ensure the cursor is three line spaces from the end of the final line of text.
Also, the 'break' in the text is not where any edit or addition was made - puzzling and irritating !

EDIT:- Oops ! Forgot to post that pic of the Buchons, so here it is !

BoB 52.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Hugh !

Too darned hot and stuffy to sleep properly, so I've cooled off a bit by sorting some more pics, first the Blenheim, Hurricane Mk1 and Spitfire Mk1, with the Gladiator.
The formation performed first, followed by alternate passes by the Hurricane, Spit and Blenheim.
Next two posts will show the Avenger, followed by the Fury in Prototype markings.

Leg 129.jpg
Leg 130.jpg
Leg 131.jpg
Leg 132.jpg
Leg 133.jpg
Leg 134.jpg
Leg 135.jpg
Leg 136.jpg
Leg 137.jpg
Leg 138.jpg

Next up was the TBM Avenger.
I've forgotten where this one is based, but I was pleased to see it flying, as I don't think I've seen one airborne before, at least not in the last 25 years or so.
This was part of a combined, singletons display, along with the Fury and the Martlet (or Wil ... that thing!), but due to my location, 150 meters or more back from the crowd line, I only managed to get a few decent shots, a few of which are shown below.
Next post will feature the Hawker Fury 'Prototype'.

Leg 139.jpg
Leg 140.jpg
Leg 141.jpg
Leg 142.jpg
Leg 143.jpg

I didn't know about the Fury until Gary (Geedee) told me about it, so I was really pleased that it got airborne and put on a dynamic display.
A lot of the show was at fairly high level, seemingly over the southern boundary of the airfield, in a similar fashion to that of the Bearcat, and I'm wondering if this was due to the 'new rules' introduced by the CAA (Cancel Airshows Altogether !!), perhaps because of the raw power of these beasts.
It did oblige by doing some top-side passes though, and looked, and sounded, wonderful against a 'Charles Brown' sky.

I'm planning on doing a few days touring in the 'Tin Tent', starting on Thursday, so I'll try to wrap up this review of this year's 'Legends' before I go, by posting more pics later today / tonight.

Leg 144.jpg
Leg 147.jpg
Leg 148.jpg
Leg 145.jpg
Leg 146.jpg
Leg 149.jpg

Thanks Andy. Pass me a 'Speckled Hen', I'm melting here !
Not complaining though, after eight months of winter and autumn, it's nice to have some sun and heat, although the forecast is 'back to normal' in the next day or so !

My thanks once again to all, and I'm glad you're enjoying the pics.
Into the final acts now before the finale of the show, with the traditional 'Balbo', which I'll try to sort and post, along with a few abstract shots, before I go touring in the 'Tin Tent' (which will now probably be Friday, as the weather is a bit unsettled, and I'm probably going to change my route anyway !).
The last 30 minutes before the 'Balbo' assembled should have been filled by the Storch, L4, Bucker Jungmann and the WW1 Sopwith Snipe and Albatross, followed by the Norwegian DC-3 and the Lockheed 12 'Electra', but the wind was still above limits for the lighter aircraft, which stayed in the safety of the hangar.
The Jungmann showed it's nimble paces whilst the 'Dak' and 'Electra' took off and flew to the hold pattern, and they're shown in the following two posts.

Leg 150.jpg
Leg 151.jpg
Leg 152.jpg
Leg 153.jpg
Leg 154.jpg

The beautifully presented Norwegian DC-3 looked superb against the changing skyscape and, as with the last time I saw it fly, it really honked around the sky, going past the vertical, climbing and diving, and providing a thrilling display.

Leg 155.jpg
Leg 156.jpg
Leg 157.jpg
Leg 158.jpg
Leg 159.jpg
Leg 160.jpg
Leg 161.jpg
Leg 162.jpg

After the antics of the DC-3, the Electra seemed quite sedate, as it purred back and forth. Much of the display was quite a distance from where I was positioned, with the aircraft blending into the gathering late afternoon haze, and I'm afraid some of the pics aren't quite as good as they should be.
All being well, I'll get the 'Balbo' shots, and the Spitfire MkV 'Joker', sorted and posted tomorrow.

Leg 163.jpg
Leg 164.jpg
Leg 165.jpg
Leg 166.jpg
Leg 167.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back