Flying Me163

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
I came across this which may be of interest. Its a replica Me163 obviously without an engine and is flown as a glider.

I would love to get my hand on it and see how it handles. I would be suprised if it could soar so it would have to be a one way trip, but what a line to shoot.

Just wish I could find a better photo.

Attachments

• me163_replica_909.jpg
    me163_replica_909.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 478
102first_hussars said:
I never could understand why some of those were painted Red, were they just asking for there own guys to shoot at them?

The prototype was red - all operational ones were painted accordingly...

FLYBOYJ said:
102first_hussars said:
I never could understand why some of those were painted Red, were they just asking for there own guys to shoot at them?

Wolfgang Spate's first operational Komet flight was in a bright red plane, which his ground crew had painted without his knowledge. He was furious supposedly, and ordered the red paint removed after the sortie. Can't imagine why. :lol:

Nonskimmer said:
FLYBOYJ said:
102first_hussars said:

Wolfgang Spate's first operational Komet flight was in a bright red plane, which his ground crew had painted without his knowledge. He was furious supposedly, and ordered the red paint removed after the sortie. Can't imagine why. :lol:
:evil4:

NS is right on, Spate's Komet was painted by the groundcrew as a parallel to the Red Baron.

Glider said:
syscom3 said:
Fly it in formation with a Remote Control B17 or Lanc! That would be a photo to show at your local pub!

Shouldn't that be a B24 or a Lanc?

Sorry, cheap shot I know, but couldn't resist it

The B24's were too fast for the Me163 to successfully intercept. Or the Me163 pilots were laughing so hard at such an easy target, they lost concentration and missed them.

Too fast?? How, a B-24J has a max speed of 290mph, the ME-163 had a max speed of 596mph (960km/h) at 32,800 ft. (10,000m). If anything the 163 was too fast to intercept the B-24, however if it can successfully engage the slower B-17 then it can engage the B-24. I will agree though that the 163 pilots probably were laughing at suck an easy target, whether they missed or not is a different question, we will just have to look at the statistics.

I think Syscom was joking re the speed.. Hitting anything in a Me163 was in my mind a major feat. With a very high closing speed and the ballistics of the 30mm 108 any hit would have been hard.

:lol:
Me too. I had once the possibility in the early 90´s to have a look at some of the construction works (wing assembly) of this glider back in Frankfurt. Great work.
I also was surprised that it has such an exzellent rate of glide (1:24), particularly for the early 40´s were such rates were only achievable with high performance gliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back