Flying Me163

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

historically it was a death sentance carried out. consumed too much liquids and result of kiiling too many good pilots. What a waste of a/c design and manufacture. 12 kills recoreded for JG 400. I knew a couple of pilots with JG 400, Rudi Opitz being one who was very open about his dislike being in the wing. although his harrowing flights he would not have missed for the world, he knew they were all pathfinders to a new era. Sadly many of his pilot Kameraden fell while on landing the kleine bombe

it is now wonder that many of the rocket kids went over to JG 7 Me 262's.

I know syscom, but I felt like commenting all the same.

I'm not surprised either Erich, I would much rather fly a Me-262 than an Me-163, at least you know it is not going to blow up on you. They still had courage to fly such a death trap and I respect them for that.

Many years ago when I lived in Montreal, I had a neighbor who claimed to have flown the -163. I don't remember his name but he said hes was a "factory test pilot." At that time this fellow had to be in in his mid 60's (1984). He told me he crashed in a Komet and was hospitalized for almost a year. He was severy burned on one arm and around his neck. God I wish I could remember his name!!!!

FJ, Alder, Cheddar
Maybe I can get a bulk discount on the flowers!!!

Me, I appreciate the important things in life. You know, walking, breathing that kind of thing.

I will stick to the Glider version, I must look up how it performed as a glider, I suspect it could go a fair lick.

Myself, I would have been first in line to transfer out of JG 400, I would rather have been flying the 262, 190,109 or even a JU 52. as Erich pointed out....what a wast of good pilots...so many deaths in this bird for so few kills, and so much wasted technology that could have been used better in other drawing board developments.....He 219 for example...TA 183, ETC...ETC...ETC...
Kevin

It is towed by another plane(Me-163 glider remake). They tried different ones but find that a Wilga (polish plane) is suited best for this task. It behaves very well.
May I ask a question? I read once from a slovenian, who collected all claims of all Me-163 units (I and II Gruppe JG400), that he was able to get as much as 23 claims up to march 45. He wasn´t able to get informations about april and may but it seems possible that no sorties were flown in this period. I do not know any details but I suspect that are claims only, not officially confirmed, right?

Glider said:
FJ, Alder, Cheddar
Maybe I can get a bulk discount on the flowers!!!

Me, I appreciate the important things in life. You know, walking, breathing that kind of thing.

I will stick to the Glider version, I must look up how it performed as a glider, I suspect it could go a fair lick.

:evil4:

The original rocket engine wasn´t that unrelieable.
It worked properly and it did not explode without reason. (except for testing period)
A problem was that it suffered flameouts under heavy neg. g-forces.
Another was the critical landing situation using a skid.
Not to speak of the effect remaining fuel would have...
I personally would have favoured the use of SG115 semi automatical vertical firing grenades together with 24 R4M for a removal of both MK108. This was tested independently by each other on Me-163 A (R4M) and Me-163 B (SG115).

delcyros said:
The original rocket engine wasn´t that unrelieable.
It worked properly and it did not explode without reason. (except for testing period)
A problem was that it suffered flameouts under heavy neg. g-forces.
Another was the critical landing situation using a skid.
Not to speak of the effect remaining fuel would have...
I personally would have favoured the use of SG115 semi automatical vertical firing grenades together with 24 R4M for a removal of both MK108. This was tested independently by each other on Me-163 A (R4M) and Me-163 B (SG115).

You say "The original rocket engine wasn't that unrelieable. Its worked properly and it did not explode without reason"'.

If this is true .. I'm not saying it is not true you guys know more then me :oops: .. What and why did they change "said" rocket motor to turn the Me-163 in to a diedly airplane..

And

Why did it use a skid? And not landing gear?

Thanks David

Hazardous Toys inc

So if you are willing to accept:-
a) an engine cutting out in heavy negative G, and at that speed any negative G is likely to be heavy.
b) a skid that often didn't extend, resulting in a landing that could damage the pilots back (or cause c or d)
c) any remaining fuel that leaked and mixed was highly explosive
d) any remaining fuel leaking into the cockpit would disolve the pilot alive
e) a one shot landing at I don't know what speed

It was quite a safe aircraft, if the engine kept going.

Sorry it was a death trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back