For the OLD Furts....remember?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Licorice cigars with red sprinkles on the end. Never pretended to smoke them, just chomped them down. :)

There were two types of candy cigarettes:
The bubblegum type that was in a paper wrapper and you could blow on it and a puff of "smoke" (powdered sugar) would come out the end.
image.jpg

The hard candy type that had a bit of red dye on the end (to look like it was lit)
image.jpg

was talking to someone last night who said they are around....surprised the heck out of me in this PC save the child from all evils world...

Finding a prize under a pop (soda for those south of the 49th) bottle cap. Had to be in the late 60's, opened a bottle of Orange Crush, removed the liner in the cap and saw $5 printed on the cap (about 1 million dollars to a pre-teen). The owner of the mom and pop store said they couldn't give me the money, that I had to find the pop truck and the driver would pay out. I chased that bloody truck around for half a day, always one stop behind him before I finally got my loot.

Well Shootsie Pie, you HAD to smoke to be a REAL man like John Wayne. Heck Doctors promoted smoking, athletes said it kept them in tip-top shape AND aided digestion. It kept women SLIM and babies WANTED mom to smoke and families wanted dad to smoke. EVEN cartoon characters smoked...
5ecb9b0c6840b2bd2eca0b2b1fc273fd.jpg
14.jpg
9-Lucky-Strike–Reach-For-A-Lucky-Instead.jpg
enhanced-buzz-wide-29482-1366223408-19.jpg
140b106c4c66ae26e48894352c87a7e4.jpg
50-old-golds-cigarettes-ad-for-dad-on-fathers-day.jpg
cigarette-ads-flintstones-montage.jpg

The only innocents were the poor schmucks who actually believed (or wanted to believe) the ads. Lung cancer was once a very rare disease, so rare that doctors took special notice when confronted with a case, thinking it a once-in-a-lifetime oddity. Mechanisation and mass marketing towards the end of the 19th century popularised the cigarette habit, however, causing a global lung cancer epidemic. Cigarettes were recognised as the cause of the epidemic in the 1940s and 1950s, with the confluence of studies from epidemiology, animal experiments, cellular pathology and chemical analytics. Cigarette manufacturers disputed this evidence, as part of an orchestrated conspiracy to salvage cigarette sales. Propagandising the public proved successful, judging from secret tobacco industry measurements of the impact of denialist propaganda. As late as 1960 only one-third of all US doctors believed that the case against cigarettes had been established. The cigarette is the deadliest artefact in the history of human civilisation. Cigarettes cause about 1 lung cancer death per 3 or 4 million smoked, which explains why the scale of the epidemic is so large today. Cigarettes cause about 1.5 million deaths from lung cancer per year, a number that will rise to nearly 2 million per year by the 2020s or 2030s, even if consumption rates decline in the interim. Part of the ease of cigarette manufacturing stems from the ubiquity of high-speed cigarette making machines, which crank out 20 000 cigarettes per min. Cigarette makers make about a penny in profit for every cigarette sold, which means that the value of a life to a cigarette maker is about US$10 000.
  • 1912 --The Marine Hospital Service is reorganized as the U.S. Public Health Service
  • 1913 --R. J. Reynolds launches Camel, the first modern mass-produced cigarette made from blended tobacco
  • 1917 --Cigarettes are included in the field rations of American soldiers in World War I
  • 1928 --Herbert L. Lombard and Carl R. Doering offer the first detailed statistical data showing a higher proportion of heavy smokers among lung cancer patients than among controls
  • 1929 --U.S. Surgeon General Hugh S. Cumming (1920-1936) cautions that smoking causes nervousness and insomnia, particularly among women
  • 1938 --Raymond Pearl demonstrates statistically that smoking shortens life expectancy
  • 1941-45 --Tobacco is supplied to American servicemen in World War II
  • 1942 --In-vitro experiments establish that tars, solid particles of partially burnt tobacco, can act directly on cells to produce neoplasm, or new and abnormal growth
  • 1953 --Ernest Wynder, a researcher at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, paints smoke condensate on the skin of mice, producing cancerous tumors in 44 percent of the animals
  • 1957 --Surgeon General Leroy E. Burney (1956-1961) declares it to be the official position of the U.S. Public Health Service that a causal relationship exists between smoking and lung cancer (June 12)
  • 1964 --Surgeon General Luther L. Terry (1961-1965) issues Smoking and Health, the first Surgeon General's report to receive widespread media and public attention (January 11)
  • 1965 --Congress mandates health warnings on cigarette packs
  • 1957 --Surgeon General Leroy E. Burney (1956-1961) declares it to be the official position of the U.S. Public Health Service that a causal relationship exists between smoking and lung cancer (June 12)
  • 1969 --The Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act passes Congress. It imposes a ban on cigarette advertising on television and radio after September 30, 1970, and requires that the Surgeon General produce an annual report on the latest scientific findings on the health effects of smoking
  • 1973 --Arizona passes the first state law designating separate smoking areas in public place
  • 1983 --Lung cancer surpasses breast cancer as the leading cause of death from cancer in women
  • 1987 --Congress bans smoking on all domestic flights of two hours or less; two years later smoking is banned on all domestic flights
  • 1992 --The Environmental Protection Agency places passive smoke on its list of major carcinogens, making it subject to federal workplace and other regulations
  • 2000 --California becomes the first state to ban smoking in bars and restaurants

Last edited:
I remember....
My family Doctor with a cig in his mouth examining me.
Everyone smoking everywhere.
Hell, I smoked on airplanes. we just sat in the back half of the aircraft.
When I was a kid, we just told the clerk that we were sent to the store to get a pack for our parents, and there was no problem.
Getting a Coke and a pack of smokes and getting back 20 cents from a buck.
Bringing a .410/22. over and under to school so I could shoot rabbits or game birds on my walk to or from school.
Walking to school with friends when it was over a mile to the school. In the winter in Minnesota.
Blowing up stuff with serious fireworks, not some crap "sparklers"
Buying a model kit of a "109" for 59 cents.
Thinking that the summer lasted forever...

My dad's birthday is Dec 27th and his mom and dad, every year, would give him a left shoe for Christmas and the right shoe for his birthday. It wasn't out of necessity though and was more of a joke. But my grandmother used to always tell us for her Christmas as a child getting a new pair of shoes, a dress, and a couple pieces of fruit or bag of nuts.......and was excited to get them. Ha, I remember once my mom and dad gave me and my sister an apple and orange in our stocking and we looked at them like "what the hell is this"?

When my grandmother was about 20 (1936) she worked 2 jobs. Her boyfriend (later on my grandfather) was in the military. She made $28 a month and he made $26 a month. She always teased him that he married her for her money!

Finding a prize under a pop (soda for those south of the 49th) bottle cap. Had to be in the late 60's, opened a bottle of Orange Crush, removed the liner in the cap and saw $5 printed on the cap (about 1 million dollars to a pre-teen). The owner of the mom and pop store said they couldn't give me the money, that I had to find the pop truck and the driver would pay out. I chased that bloody truck around for half a day, always one stop behind him before I finally got my loot.

in western Pennsylvania we call it pop too. I remember all the contests hidden under pop bottle caps. we had a pop machine in our store so I would rob the cap catcher. i would always end up with most of the collections that they had.....wish i had those all now. might be worth something.

Had a kid come up to me today and complimented Rosi's Mustang (It's a 2001), he said he wished he had a "classic" Mustang like that.

I stared at him for a moment while taking that "classic" bit in, and then replied to him: "I have a 1966 Mustang that's a little more of a classic...it even has "wind wings"!

He stared at me and said "what is a wind wing"?

I explained it to him and he actually said that "who needs a little window that opens like that? Those old cars were junk! These classics (pointing to Rosi's Stang) are much better!".

I weep for the future of our world...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back