Force Z waits for HMS Indomitable, and then goes via Panama instead of Cape Town

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've often thought it a little cheeky how little Britain contributed to the defence and liberation of their Pacific territory. For example, Britain owned the Solomon Islands, including Guadacanal, but it was the Americans, with help from Australia who fought and died to defend and recapture it. So, considering that so much US effort is being made to defend British or CW territory, including the Solomons, PNG and Australia itself, it seems only fair that Force Z fight alongside the USN.

Hi

I thought that the capture of Guadalcanal and other islands was to do with the the US Strategy not to 'liberate' British (and Australian mandated) island territories. The US wanted to build airfields, on Guadalcanal it was Henderson Field and a smaller fighter strip, also denying island airfields to the Japanese. When Henderson Field was completed on 21 August 1942, it was stated to have become "... the most important piece of real estate in the Pacific war." (quoting page 75 of 'Fire in the Sky' by Eric M Bergerud).

Mike

I thought that the capture of Guadalcanal and other islands was to do with the the US Strategy not to 'liberate' British (and Australian mandated) island territories.
Well, after the Solomons were liberated the British governors returned to their usual work, remaining until independence in 1978. This site is a great resource for British territory worldwide, British Empire Map Room
The US wanted to build airfields, on Guadalcanal it was Henderson Field and a smaller fighter strip, also denying island airfields to the Japanese. When Henderson Field was completed on 21 August 1942, it was stated to have become "... the most important piece of real estate in the Pacific war." (quoting page 75 of 'Fire in the Sky' by Eric M Bergerud).
Good point. Of course before the war the British/Aus already had airfields in the Solomons and PNG that the Americans could have used, including RAAF Vunakanau Airfield, captured by Japan Jan 1942 Pacific Wrecks - Vunakanau Airfield (Rabaul West, West Airfield, Rabaul Upper, Rabaul No. 2) East New Britain Province, Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Port Moresby Airport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back