Ford Tri-Motor Monogram kit somewhat smaller than 1/72 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
This is the last of the 1930's airliners that I have completed, although I guess the decal option was technically not an airliner, I thought it looked cool. It's an old kit I remember building as a kid back in the 70's, and is a decent model with convincing corrugated skin detail, and went together easily. The decals were another matter though. They flatly refused to conform to the corrugated skin no matter how much Micro Sol I used and I had to resort to gluing them on with Future and running a fingernail through each corrugation as it dried to prevent silvering. The result wasn't perfect but looks OK and I avoided the silvering.

mono-fordtrimotor.jpg
P5222021.JPG
P5222022.JPG
P5222023.JPG
P5222024.JPG
P5222025.JPG
P5222026.JPG
P5222027.JPG
P5222028.JPG
P5222029.JPG
P5222030.JPG
P5222031.JPG
P5222032.JPG
P5222033.JPG
P5222034.JPG
P5222035.JPG
P5222036.JPG
P5222037.JPG
byrd2b.jpg
IH171623.jpg

Last edited:
T Bolt, that is really cool. It always freaks me how similar the Ford tri-motor is to the Ju-52, even though they are miles apart. Really great build. :thumbleft:

Very nice work Glenn. I've only ever attempted one 'wrinkly tin' aircraft, an Airfix Ju52, about forty+ years ago. Being long before the advent of decal solutions, the job was a real b*tch, and I swore I'd never do another!

Thanks everyone!

Very nice work Glenn. I've only ever attempted one 'wrinkly tin' aircraft, an Airfix Ju52, about forty+ years ago. Being long before the advent of decal solutions, the job was a real b*tch, and I swore I'd never do another!

The only other one I ever did was the Lufthansa JU-52 which I did at the same time as this one. The decals went on beautifully with Micro Sol. I guess it just depends on the decals. The way I did it with the Ford worked but it was a major pain in the a*s, and was a sticky mess. I had to rub the whole model down with windex when I was done to remove the Future and was amazed it turned out as good as it did. Half way through the ordeal I was ready to chuck the whole sticky mess! :lol:

Real Nice build. I would love to see this kit in 1/48, would look great sitting next to an 'Auntie Ju'.

Very nice build. Did you do the dog team ? Airfix made a Ford Tr-motor in 1/72 years ago.I have the Monogram kit in my stash but the decals have kept me from building it. Also "Stout Airlines"
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks All!

Didn't do the dog team Ed. Still have them around here somewhere as I never throw out stuff like that (Just ask my wife) Maybe I'll pull them out and paint them someday when I'm waiting for something or other to dry. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back