Ford Tri-Motor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
A number of years ago American Airlines found one of their original Ford Tri-Motor Aircraft in a junk yard in Mexico. They restored it and took it on a promotional tour. When it came to the Twin Cities I was invited to take a ride. What a delightful experience that was. Still remember the landing. The aircraft settled four or five feet after the wheels were on the ground. I don't think it possible to bounce the aircraft on landing.:)

Love the Tri-motor!

It has to be one of the smoothest rides I've ever had and for some reason, the look and feel of the interior reminds me of riding the school bus when I was a kid!

Several years ago, the EAA's Tri-motor came to town and I grabbed some photos and a ride. Loved every minute of it!

EAA Ford Trimotor visits Redding Airport (RDD)

image.jpg

Love the Tri-motor!

It has to be one of the smoothest rides I've ever had and for some reason, the look and feel of the interior reminds me of riding the school bus when I was a kid!

Several years ago, the EAA's Tri-motor came to town and I grabbed some photos and a ride. Loved every minute of it!

EAA Ford Trimotor visits Redding Airport (RDD)

View attachment 499806
Beautiful paint job. It was kinda like riding in a school bus. I was surprised to see the exterior control cables.

Last edited:
If this is the American Airlines Tri-motor that is in the NASM in DC, boy, do I have stories about it! My Father was Manager of Maintenance for A/A for DCA, IAD and BWI from 1971 to 1987. A/A was in the process of donating this aircraft to the Smithsonian in the early '70's to be part of the new NASM. Part of the process was it was flown to DCA and then was to be flown to Andrews AFB to be taken to Silver Hill Paul Garber facility nearby to be preserved and then displayed downtown in the new Smithsonian Museum when it was ready. A/A starts making the arraignments with the Smithsonian and flies the Tri-motor to DCA. Then, A/A contacts the USAF to schedule the flight to Andrews so it can then be taken to Silver Hill. As I was told, some Jerk of an Officer in the USAF says hold on, that's not landing at Andrews without an Air Force pilot in one of the pilots' seat. Fine says A/A, get us an A/F pilot rated in a Tri-motor! What? We don't have someone rated in that! Instant impasse! In the meantime, what is going to happen to the plane? That is where my Dad firmly steps in. My whole family was/is plane crazy, heck, my parents met working at A/A in the '40's! Anyway, Dad tells his bosses not to worry, he will make damn sure nothing happens to it. Because he had such a great working relationship with his mechanics, he got them all fired up about the history they were taking care of. So, the Ford was tucked away in the corner of Hanger No. 7, still standing at National, and is taken very good care of until the pilot mess got sorted out. As I recall, what happened was the Air Force found a still rated old hand who had flown C-47's and put him with the A/A pilot and they did some touch and goes at National and then flew it to Andrews and it now is in the NASM.

Forgot to mention, this took some time. So, my brother, myself and a few close friends got to go to Hanger 7 on a couple of weekends and have a great time in this piece of history, which we treated with total respect as my Dad knew we would. Unfortunately, the pictures I took were stolen by the developer right before the airplane was moved, but we still have our memories!

Mr. Runnels, it seems our paths have crossed yet again!

If this is the American Airlines Tri-motor that is in the NASM in DC, boy, do I have stories about it! My Father was Manager of Maintenance for A/A for DCA, IAD and BWI from 1971 to 1987. A/A was in the process of donating this aircraft to the Smithsonian in the early '70's to be part of the new NASM. Part of the process was it was flown to DCA and then was to be flown to Andrews AFB to be taken to Silver Hill Paul Garber facility nearby to be preserved and then displayed downtown in the new Smithsonian Museum when it was ready. A/A starts making the arraignments with the Smithsonian and flies the Tri-motor to DCA. Then, A/A contacts the USAF to schedule the flight to Andrews so it can then be taken to Silver Hill. As I was told, some Jerk of an Officer in the USAF says hold on, that's not landing at Andrews without an Air Force pilot in one of the pilots' seat. Fine says A/A, get us an A/F pilot rated in a Tri-motor! What? We don't have someone rated in that! Instant impasse! In the meantime, what is going to happen to the plane? That is where my Dad firmly steps in. My whole family was/is plane crazy, heck, my parents met working at A/A in the '40's! Anyway, Dad tells his bosses not to worry, he will make damn sure nothing happens to it. Because he had such a great working relationship with his mechanics, he got them all fired up about the history they were taking care of. So, the Ford was tucked away in the corner of Hanger No. 7, still standing at National, and is taken very good care of until the pilot mess got sorted out. As I recall, what happened was the Air Force found a still rated old hand who had flown C-47's and put him with the A/A pilot and they did some touch and goes at National and then flew it to Andrews and it now is in the NASM.

Forgot to mention, this took some time. So, my brother, myself and a few close friends got to go to Hanger 7 on a couple of weekends and have a great time in this piece of history, which we treated with total respect as my Dad knew we would. Unfortunately, the pictures I took were stolen by the developer right before the airplane was moved, but we still have our memories!

Mr. Runnels, it seems our paths have crossed yet again!
Interesting story. The time frame you mention is compatible with my ride so it probably is the same aircraft. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back