Former Nazi SS member convicted of Dutch murders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ouch. Another sticky one. We're gonna have a lot of folks screaming for clemency due to his age and infirmities. Personally, the guy admitted to the crimes, then fled the scene back to Germany. Put him in a minimum-security facility, at the very least. He did the crime, he needs to do the time.

while im no expert. it seems he was a regular soldier defending his country . how many civilians were killed during the war. should we arrest all the bomber pilots who dropped there bombs in the "wrong " places also?I appoligize if i offended anyone with my comment it is not my intension.

While I'm no expert. it seems he was a regular soldier defending his country. How many civilians were killed during the war? Should we arrest all the bomber pilots who dropped their bombs in the wrong place also? I apologise if I offended anyone with my comment, it is not my intention.
Technically
I don't think the Waffen SS were regarded as regular soldiers, otherwise they'd be the Wehrmacht.
Secondly, you'll find there's a difference between collateral damage (inherent in strategic bombing and certainly with WWII technology) and putting a gun to the head of a bicycle shop owner and in full possession of your faculties, pulling the trigger.

Should we arrest the civilian vigilante parties who summarily executed downed bomber crews?

Guy came from the Russian Front to Holland. Kinda of like going from the worst part of the Nazi Empire to the quietest. At least in comparison.

I'm suprised they only tagged him for three murders. Those guys coming from the Eastern Front were animals. That war did that to them. Consider the 2nd SS Panzer's march through France to the Invasion beaches. They wiped out a town on the way, killing something like 600 people. When the generals in charge sent down and inquiry as to why they did it, the guys that did it were amazed. It was something they did all the time on the Eastern Front.

while im no expert. it seems he was a regular soldier defending his country . how many civilians were killed during the war. should we arrest all the bomber pilots who dropped there bombs in the "wrong " places also?I appoligize if i offended anyone with my comment it is not my intension.

There is a big difference between a bomb dropped in the wrong place and the deliberate act of seeking out an individual and killing them.

There is a big difference between a bomb dropped in the wrong place and the deliberate act of seeking out an individual and killing them.

Agreed. A bomb dropped in WW2, especially over cities, was more often a "To whom it may concern" weapon than specifically targeted.

Shooting someone, with deliberation, at close range, shows personal intent. It's a different type of kiling.

Yep - you're no expert!
And apology accepted...

But remember this....

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Last edited:
i see all your points. makes sense about the bombing. ive had family die on both sides of the war. My parents were kids then and left a big city to a smaller local town thinking they were safe. they got leveled!. no one got hurt ( my family anyways or i would not be here). i heard the story was the bombers just dropped them on the return trip because they did not want to land with live ammo on board. i get it . it was war time .

The man in this story was a member of probably the most notorious death squad in history, and coming from a conquered country he was more than just a soldier following orders. The SS just didn't let any conquered citizen join their ranks.

As far as bombers jettisoning their bombs – unfortunately that was the hazard of existing in a war environment. I do know that there were actually places marked in the North Sea for this to be done, providing the bomber could make it there.
I would hope those who fell victim to this 'friendly fire" understands the circumstances behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back