Foto Fest 2018 Mk.II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
IMG_1403.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Ouch, don't hold out much hope with the triplane's landing and recovery.....Pilot ok i hope.
Pilot walked away, a tad woozy but unhurt for the most part. Lost engine power and was attempting to make it back to the field. Had to pull up to clear some trees, stalled and hit the cornfield and tumbled a$$ over tea kettle. I was standing there with a buddy watching it happen and it was like slow motion. You knew he was in trouble, that it was not going to end well but you were still pulling for the guy. Anyhow, he staggered out of the cornfield a short time after the crash.

That triplane was home built by a guy, Andy McKimmon, from my neck of the woods and eventually ended up with the Great War Flying Museum near Toronto. Interesting thing about McKimmon, shortly after the war he bought a Hurricane and it sat in a field in the north end of Guelph for many years until sold to the Shuttleworth collection IIRC. Only a few bits and pieces were used with the largest being the canopy and I believe it is still in place on a Hurricane although I cannot remember which one. If Shuttleworth Collection still has a Hurricane it may be theirs.
Anyhow, most of this post regarding the remains of the Guelph Hurricane is from memory so a few of the shady details may not be 100% accurate.

Cheers,

Jeff

Glad the pilot is OK, and a grat shot you captured.
The Hurricane at the Shuttleworth Collection is a Sea Hurricane - can't remember if they had parts of another, back in the 1960s, but they might have .

Scanned through my copy of Hurricane Survivors by Gordon Riley and could not find any mention of McKimmon. The Shuttleworth Hurricane is a Canadian-built Mk I and was shipped over to England after it was built and remained there. It was converted to a Sea Hurricane in mid 1941. After the war, it changed hands a few times but always stayed in the UK and underwent some abandoned restoration attempts. It's possible some "new-old" parts made their way into the current version but it appears that the restoration entailed use of the original aircraft structure but there were many badly corroded parts that were fabricated new.

A guy named Jack Arnold in Brantford Ontario bought up a number of hulks and ended up distributing these far and wide so maybe McKimmon's was one of those. Many of today's Hurricanes on display are hybrids with sketchy identities.

Good info Andy. I jut about remember the Shuttleworth Hurricane in the 1960s, when it was on static display, with talk back then of restoring it to flying condition, which oc course it now is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back